iOS push notification alert images sorta working

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So we are getting alerts and everything else fine sometimes we get in alert image push to iOS devices and sometimes we don’t what could be causing this

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok. so they worked from like 7pm to 5am and then stop.. the alerts are still coming through.. but the images just stop!! what the heck?

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
5.3.2.7 this has happened a few times.. even at my personal home it all of sudden stopped for a few hrs and restarted.. on its own.. however perhaps Blue Iris is not the best sotware to be using for client security systems, because it looks bad on me where i am having mutliple issues with the system... still looking into why this is happening.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
are you sending the images via SMS or Apple Push Notifications?

isuee94

n3wb
Reaction score
So we are getting alerts and everything else fine sometimes we get in alert image push to iOS devices and sometimes we don’t what could be causing this
Same, except I’m getting no images just the notification. Up until the new iOS update I was getting the animated GIF reliably. Ever since I’ve not gotten them. I’m current on both iOS app and server app.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Apple Push Notification

MY system works at home, with alert image or 10sec gif but at my folks the alert images are intermittent
I'm running 5.3.2.8 and it works a good percentage of the time. Occasionally, I'll get a push come through without an image but it's rare. My understanding is that you will need port forwarding for the rich notifications to work. Have you opened ports at your folk's router to support this?

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running 5.3.2.8 and it works a good percentage of the time. Occasionally, I'll get a push come through without an image but it's rare. My understanding is that you will need port forwarding for the rich notifications to work. Have you opened ports at your folk's router to support this?
yeah.. see when you sayd port forward.. which ports are you talking about... the BI is the only port i understand that needs to be opened,.which it is.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah.. see when you sayd port forward.. which ports are you talking about... the BI is the only port i understand that needs to be opened,.which it is.
That's the one. I ran across this when setting up my VPN. Noticed without the port for BI forwarded, the notifications had no images.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's the one. I ran across this when setting up my VPN. Noticed without the port for BI forwarded, the notifications had no images.
As long as you are connected via VPN to your local BI, you do not need to open ports for Images, similarly to being on your LAN. The problem with these images not coming through in my testing is not related to ports but something within either BI console bugs, mobile app bugs or Apple changing something with Push Notifications. I occasionally receive the GIF images (VPN or Local), but most of the time I just receive the notifications without.

I also notice that if I remote into the BI console or open the IOS app - I tend to receive images in the few minutes after closing....

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
For me it’s related to the VPN because I specify the FQDN for the BI server address and not the local IP address in the iOS app. I can see if you do specify the local IP rather than how I’m doing it, that the open port may not be needed. I can’t recall how long, but I thought I read a post here a long time ago that said it was needed regardless of the method but not 100% sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
oddly enough.. i have NO vpn, however.. when i am AWAY i more frequently recieve alert images.. when I am on premesis infrequently recieve them... perhaps i will wipe my ubiquiti setup and redo the whole thing.. if that dosent work. tomorrow i will wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows, bi an, and everything else.. .. i feel i need to do better at documenting my installation processes.. this way I can see of one of the setup steps interfearred

Peter Myers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok.. so onsite.... with wifi on.. i get not alert images... i get the alert but not image... sitting in the same chair.. if i turn OFF my wifi.. and am now using cellular data... i get alert images... so it seems to just be not working on the local network.... this is weird.. because my netowrk at home and my parents are the same settings... i wonder if its a blue iris setting. or windows settings of some sort... sigh

dchaos

n3wb
Reaction score
Android here, has been intermittent for months now. Certain versions work better than others, but it still stops with the image eventually. Usually a restart of BI helps, but not always. No rhyme or reason to any of it.