iOS app constantly not connecting

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not saying it is or isn’t. Just because a few people have the problem doesn’t mean a fix can’t be implemented on the BI server or app. There are a lot of different environments out there. It could be a combination of things. I’ve tinkered and played with a handful of things to no avail. Asked support for help- was asked a few questions and the ultimate response was we plan to release a new app in the summer and will test extensively.
It cant be fixed because the problem is not with the app. It is on your end. You are taking about 3 people and the OP posted 18 months ago.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It cant be fixed because the problem is not with the app. It is on your end. You are taking about 3 people and the OP posted 18 months ago.
And what exactly is the problem on my end? Why is it random? Apparently nobody has the answer yet. I counted 6-7 posters with the issue and no solution. What does it matter that it was originally posted 18 months ago? I get that the issue could be on our end. The purpose of posting about the problem is to hope we can figure out a trend or find someone that may have found a solution whether it’s a router, app, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And what exactly is the problem on my end? Why is it random? Apparently nobody has the answer yet. I counted 6-7 posters with the issue and no solution. What does it matter that it was originally posted 18 months ago? I get that the issue could be on our end. The purpose of posting about the problem is to hope we can figure out a trend or find someone that may have found a solution whether it’s a router, app, etc.
I have no idea. If there is a bug in the app why is it random? You counted incorrectly. One posters didnt properly port forward the other has an unrelated user limit problem that is user error. 18 months ago matters because if it was an actual issue in the app that was introduced 18 months ago why are there only a few users reporting the problem. Trust me, if there is an issue logging in due to the app the forum would be flooded. Are you able to log in use the browser on the phone?

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no idea. If there is a bug in the app why is it random? You counted incorrectly. One posters didnt properly port forward the other has an unrelated user limit problem that is user error. 18 months ago matters because if it was an actual issue in the app that was introduced 18 months ago why are there only a few users reporting the problem. Trust me, if there is an issue logging in due to the app the forum would be flooded. Are you able to log in use the browser on the phone?
Have not experienced any issues logging in via the browser although I don’t utilize it much on my iOS devices. I do have several Fire TV’s around the house that I have no problems logging in via the browser. The issue seemingly seems isolated to the app on all three of my iOS devices (not saying it is the app itself, but that is the only area I have experienced the problem).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have not experienced any issues logging in via the browser although I don’t utilize it much on my iOS devices. I do have several Fire TV’s around the house that I have no problems logging in via the browser. The issue seemingly seems isolated to the app on all three of my iOS devices (not saying it is the app itself, but that is the only area I have experienced the problem).
when you have the issue try logging in via chrome on the phone.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
when you have the issue try logging in via chrome on the phone.
Any reason it needs to be Chome specifically? I will try to use the browser more frequently over next several days. Even if I get the error on the app, it usually logs in fine on the very next click (not always) so I doubt I could even reproduce it very easily by immediately jumping to browser.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any reason it needs to be Chome specifically? I will try to use the browser more frequently over next several days. Even if I get the error on the app, it usually logs in fine on the very next click (not always) so I doubt I could even reproduce it very easily by immediately jumping to browser.
ui3 works best with chrome. Not sure about safari etc.
Do you get the password error like the OP or does it just not log in?
Have you enabled and checked the BI log file?

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ui3 works best with chrome. Not sure about safari etc.
Do you get the password error like the OP or does it just not log in?
Have you enabled and checked the BI log file?
Username/password error like OP. I believe I checked a while back but I’ll check log in the morning to see if there is anything that might help there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Username/password error like OP. I believe I checked a while back but I’ll check log in the morning to see if there is anything that might help there.
What exact version of BI are you running?
You also mentioned that you didnt have this problem when you removed the port from the lan address which is the same as removing the entire address. Even though its using the "wan" address you are not actually routing any traffic over wan, its run over lan with a function called nat loopback. This is supported by almost every router except some modem/router combos. So you can use leave it that way.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What exact version of BI are you running?
You also mentioned that you didnt have this problem when you removed the port from the lan address which is the same as removing the entire address. Even though its using the "wan" address you are not actually routing any traffic over wan, its run over lan with a function called nat loopback. This is supported by almost every router except some modem/router combos. So you can use leave it that way.
I'm on 5.2.6.5. I didn't have "Log to file" enabled (I went ahead and checked it). I had been checking "Messages" window periodically when I'd get the error but never saw anything of concern to date.

Interesting info on how the WAN is routed within "internal network". I will likely change it back for the time being if I can't figure out the source of the real problem. Not sure of your familiarity with DD-WRT, but I'm running that on my router if you can think of anything I should check there. I have a BlueIris PC with dual NIC behind that. Appreciate all the advice thus far.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on 5.2.6.5. I didn't have "Log to file" enabled (I went ahead and checked it). I had been checking "Messages" window periodically when I'd get the error but never saw anything of concern to date.

Interesting info on how the WAN is routed within "internal network". I will likely change it back for the time being if I can't figure out the source of the real problem. Not sure of your familiarity with DD-WRT, but I'm running that on my router if you can think of anything I should check there. I have a BlueIris PC with dual NIC behind that. Appreciate all the advice thus far.
what port are you using for the webserver?

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been using browser on iOS devices past few days and have had no issues logging in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been using browser on iOS devices past few days and have had no issues logging in.
How is your external connection set up? Basic port forward? Stunned? Vpn.
If port forwarding are you using your own ddns server or using the the registration key.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How is your external connection set up? Basic port forward? Stunned? Vpn.
If port forwarding are you using your own ddns server or using the the registration key.
Right now, utilizing basic port forward. Have used VPN as well and will ultimately switch back with concern to security. To be honest, I don't think I've had the issue when I connect through VPN.

Used registration key.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, utilizing basic port forward. Have used VPN as well and will ultimately switch back with concern to security. To be honest, I don't think I've had the issue when I connect through VPN.

Used registration key.
delete the key and disable lookup. Use your actual ip address (this is best for testing) or another ddns provider. IP Cam Talk DDNS

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same problem as op for me for the last couple years but on and off. Recently I haven’t had the issue for almost six months. Now it’s back. I didn’t change my router so it must be something with my ISP maybe changing addresses. I’ll have to spend more time looking at it this weekend. But it’s incredibly annoying and usually takes about 4 or 5 attempts before it lets me in.

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought I would chime and and say the current version of Blue Iris paired with new iOS Blue Iris app seems to have resolved this issue for me. Been running a couple days now with no login errors!

pnakashian

n3wb
Reaction score
I've run into this issue only from LAN, I think i just solved it, in my case I had the login issue intermittently only in my home. In my case I had bad DNS setup at home.

In the blue-iris app i have configured
LAN as http://lan_ip:81
WAN as from WAN only the router forwards from port 443 to lan_ip:1995, lan_ip:1995 is nginx docker forwards LETSENCRYPT SSL to blue-iris.

my Local DNS was resolving domain.duckdns.org as lan_ip , this request from the LAN the router would not forward
from port https://lan_ip:443 to https://lan_ip:1995
this was my mistake.

but since i had the problem intermittently, i can only surmise the blue-iris IOS app does not try to use the LAN setup consistently even when i'm connected to my home wifi.
that's the part that took me a little longer to figure out.
if it used the LAN setup with port 81, my bad local DNS would not have been used, as lan_ip is just my lan ip address already 192.168..

hope this helps someone else save some time troubleshooting.