Invalid Command Line error on BI start up after reboot

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I started fresh with new Windows 10 build and BI 5 (latest ver as of today). When I reboot Windows and open BI it pops up an 'Invalid Command Line error' message box.
So far I do not see that it causes any issues. I just close it and go on but am of course curious if anyone else has had this error or know what it refers to so I can correct it before troubling BI support.

BI Open error.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running Blue Iris as a service ?
What file are you clicking on to start BI ? The full path with extension ?
What did you use to do a new windows build, the manufactures CD or the microsoft media creation tool ?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No just running it however it defaulted when installed.
I start it with the shortcut it created which points to: "C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIrisAdmin.exe"
I used the Microsoft media creation tool.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure there are no extra characters beyond the command line you’ve posted?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is what the shortcut properties show.
1578580036622.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the same short cut I use. What happens if you do not use the short cut, and just execute in the blue iris 5 folder ?

Is there any useful information in the windows event log ?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Changing the shortcut or going directly to the executable makes no difference. The error message is before the app starts.
To be more specific the BI error message occurs on Windows boot up, even though BI does not open and is not set to open or restart on boot up. So it is as if BI is running something at startup anyway? Once I close the error I still have to launch BI.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ARe you running BI as a service ?
Is there any info in the windows event viewer ?
I have BI set to run as a service with a delayed start.
BI_Service_1.jpg
BI_Service_2.jpg

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not running it as a service, just however it runs when you install it. Never used the event viewer so not sure what I'd be looking for in there or where. I browsed through Windows log folders but saw nothing referencing BI.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if BI is not a service it should not be starting on a boot. Look a windows startup apps.

It is strongly recommended to configure BI as a service.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI itself is not starting at boot. Once the computer boots I still have to launch it manually. But BI is trying something at boot up and throwing the error. It is not causing any issues I can see. I click OK and it goes away. I am just trying to find out what the BI error is about and why it would be occurring at system boot up. The presence of the error indicated BI is trying to do something and failing when Windows boots up.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The easiest solution is to do a complete new install. Clean install of windows 10 using Microsoft media creation tool. Then install bi. Then test. Nothing else. No antivirus, no other software....

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BI itself is not starting at boot. Once the computer boots I still have to launch it manually. But BI is trying something at boot up and throwing the error.

semantics are killing me....
BI does not start at boot = BI is not configured as service; BI does not run until user logs on to system and manually starts BI; BI stops running when user logs off
boot/reboot = power off system, power on system, or shutdown with restart
log on = sign on to computer with user/pwd credentials

BI is not configured as a service....

Is error seen every time you log on to system and manually run BI
or
Is error seen only once after system is rebooted and you log on and manually run BI; subsequent log-ons and starting BI do not create error

===

if you create a new user account and use it to start BI, do you still receive the error

(will determine if the error is generated at system level (registry entry) or user level (start/startup group, task manager/startup, computer management/task scheduler)

===

behaves as though there is an attempt being made to start BI through some automated means that has incorrect/invalid startup instructions. rather than clicking OK, bring up task manager and see what processes are currently active. there should be one that is running controlling the pop-up, select it and right-click... can you select PROPERTIES or FILE LOCATION; if so what are the results.

===

within the LOG files you are looking for application error/system error that is in the vein of "cannot find" "cannot start" "invalid file". clear all the log files, computer management/system tools/event viewer/windows logs/ and for each one right click and CLEAR LOG. select CLEAR.

reboot system, log in, start BI

check log files again, they will be very small and easier to find any error/information message. the pop-up error may not generate anything in the log, but would be helpful to find if it does

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The error pops up immediately after rebooting windows and entering my Windows password.
Here is a new screen print with the error and other information from the task manager. TM process shows BlueIris 5 installer 32 bit and Error below it. running although it is not set as a service and I have not manually tried to open it. Clicking open file location takes me to the Blueiris.exe installer I originally downloaded in my download folder??
Task manager properties shows BI 5 installer.
So how\why would windows be triggering the BI installer exe when it boot up?
I right clicked to generate a blueiris.dmp file and attached.

BI Open error2.jpg

My assumption is all I'd have to do is delete the blueiris.exe from the download folder and the issue would be gone but I am really curious what it is trying to do and how it is attempting to do it and why.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Deleting the file from Downloads would change the error, not remove the error... instead you will likely see a File Not Found error. Uninstalling BI, rebooting, re-installing BI =might= clear the error.

Let's look within the Registry and see if there is a left-over entry there that is trying to re-install BI; if you are comfortable doing so. Inadvertent changes can destroy Windows.

Proceed at your own risk...

Open an Administrative Power Shell or CMD window
Regedit
Control-F
(find)
within FInd what: type in downloads\blueiris
uncheck Keys and Values
press enter

1579963071213.png

The only matching entry in my system is for the Uninstallation process

1579963140587.png

Do you find any other matching entry(s) in yours?

Perhaps within a RunOnce location

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run​
HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run​
HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce​
HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce​

============

If nothing shows up here, then it's likely as easy to uninstall/re-install BI in hopes that clears up the matter. If that doesn't, then a new install would be the next escalation.

----

Something got unhappy during the install process and left itself buried in the system. With enough hunting/tracking, you would find it but the question would be how long would it take.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I searched the reg and found 7 entries with "downloads\blueiris " in them (attached)....No idea why the registry needs all these references to a download exe that in theory would never be used but the reg is a mystery to me anyway. How does Windows even operate with this much crap in the registry for just one reference to one program? o_O
I don't need the download file so I'm going to delete it and see what happens. Like I mentioned initially, the error does not seem to be causing a problem, I'm just curious why it is happening.

Attachments

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I was going to check the logs from the prior post suggestion but don't know how to do that.

I deleted the BI instal exe from the download file and the error stopped. No new error in it's place. I guess whatever in Windows was referencing in on startup said, "oh well, I guess it's gone, who cares."

All the crap registry entries referencing "downloads\blueiris" are still there though. Is there a way, or reccomended app to get to do some regular registry cleanup to remove stuff like this? I imagine it could build up over time. Or is it not recommended to really mess with removing registry entries and\or maybe it makes no performance difference?

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your system has a lot more BI registry entries than mine; removing entries without understanding where/why they originated is not a trivial nor whimsical thing to do. Registry cleaners exist and they do remove a lot of bloat, but they target more general purpose entries than specific rouge entries, Your mileage may vary. (again use at your own risk)

It's obvious looking at the registry there are other things going on within your system beyond just BI; e.g. VMware, Caphyon, Horizon... Also the registry ...\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\... is created when running Windows Compatibility Assistant; the tool used to verify/validate applications when upgrading Windows

If removing the file from the Downloads directory stops the error message without creating any new error message, that's good. Extra registry entries impact boot/startup time, once Windows is running there's very little, if any, noticeable performance difference.

However, l'm with you that there is way too much junk in the registry from who-knows-what. If this were my system, I'd get my software keys out and rebuild a physical Windows 10 installation from scratch and not add anything but the absolute necessities.