Internet Speeds: What do you have?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fiber doesn't like dust and dirt, I wouldn't mess with a connection that might be fiber.
I don't know what the fiber used by the telecom companies looks like, but I would guess it looks different from the white coax used for copper.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea of how the end will look. I have never seen one and not sure if you will see the fiber or just a connection on the end.
The fiber cable will connect to a box called the ONT (optical network terminal), which takes the signal from the fiber and puts it on the regular wires already used to run signals around the house (i.e. coax for TV, ethernet for data, and phone wire for phone).

In the pic below, the fiber is on the far left. Fiber is thin compared to coax or telephone cable. FWIW, ONTs have all sorts of different looks/sizes, so the ones Frontier use may not look like the one below.

ontpower_450_fa54.gif

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The fiber cable will connect to a box called the ONT (optical network terminal), which takes the signal from the fiber and puts it on the regular wires already used to run signals around the house (i.e. coax for TV, ethernet for data, and phone wire for phone).

In the pic below, the fiber is on the far left. Fiber is thin compared to coax or telephone cable. FWIW, ONTs have all sorts of different looks/sizes, so the ones Frontier use may not look like the one below.

View attachment 16059
He found me out, LOL.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Verizon Fiber . 50/50 and pay around 120 for 450+ channels of TV and Internet .
Speed Tests I generally get 78/55

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just cancelled my tv and phone with Fios. I'm paying $70 a month for 75/75.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My contract is coming due in a few months. I need to bitch and complain to get the NEW CUSOTMER ( Bunch of horse pooo) RATE !

NEED TO SAVE more cash for a new guitar. Oh wrong forum Camera ...LOL

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was still in a contract I had another year left and I switched no problem. I'm in NY and just paying internet by itself it's only $7 in taxes so my total is $77 out the door.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't know, it's copper... to have the fiber into your house you must have a dedicated "router" that accepts fiber cable: if you don't have that you have copper.

EDIT:
There are 3 types:
FTTC fiber to the cabinet (street), then from the cabinet to house you have copper
FTTB fiber to the building, with a dedicated fiber "router" then from the box to the apartments you go with copper
FTTH fiber to the house. Every apartment has direct fiber with a dedicated fiber "router".
There's another that's common too:
FTTN fiber to the node which is usually within 1500' or so. tends to be somewhat slow typically vdsl from there to your house

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fiber hits my ONT and I had them turn on the Ethernet port . My router not Verizon's is plugged into the ONT unit. When I did that the speeds jumped up. COAX is only used for the TV . The Verizon router for the TV box programming has to run through my router and then feed the data to the STB's.

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like to thank all who helped me with this fiber thing. I going to get start looking for a modem for standard coax cable, that's what I have in my house. My contract is up in 5 months so I have plenty of time to find one.
Thanks again for everyone's help.

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have AT&T fiber and it's run to the house. The installer skipped the access box outside my house and ran the fiber all the way in and put the ONT by my rack setup in the basement. Then Cat6 from the ONT to the modem/router.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have AT&T fiber and it's run to the house. The installer skipped the access box outside my house and ran the fiber all the way in and put the ONT by my rack setup in the basement. Then Cat6 from the ONT to the modem/router.
fancy

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I like to thank all who helped me with this fiber thing. I going to get start looking for a modem for standard coax cable, that's what I have in my house. My contract is up in 5 months so I have plenty of time to find one.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
I'm on my 2nd Motorola modem. Used the first one for like 15 years, it still works, I replaced for a faster one.
You may not need the faster modem available, you just need one fast enough to support the speed your ISP provides.
Current one is a SB6121.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
150/150 Symmetrical, FiOS wants me to go for their gigabit service, but I really don't need it "yet," its funny how GPON is gigabit-ready, now if only NGPON can role out--at the end of the day what really matters is the number of devices connected and running all at the same time. In FiOS territory 75/75 is the sweet spot with all that extra fluff. 4K content is becoming prevalent, gotta' keep up with the upward trend, especially when dealing with streaming services, lol

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well it's been 5 years since starting this thread and I just upgraded our internet for the first time since starting this thread.....to FIBER! We were paying $40/month for 25/3 with 250 GB data cap and maybe 3-4 times/year getting hit with $15 extra because we were going over out data limit. It was happening often enough it was becoming annoying, and the final straw was one month we got dinged with $30 charges, 15 for each 50 over our limit, so I hopped online to see if I had any other options (not switching companies, just plans). Anyway I happened across a PDF from them that listed prices, it literally looked like a menu, and noticed that fiber was an option, the cheapest being 25/25 with unlimited data for $65/month. This "menu" isn't even advertised on their website, I'm not sure how I found it, but again I found myself ordering the cheapest and unadvertised plan, saving tons of money compared to most other people that get plans based on what the cable company suggests. Anyway, I called them up and it took 45 minutes for the girl on the phone to finally get hold of someone in the company that knew what I was talking about. They set me up 2 weeks later and it's been amazing. I no longer have to worry about data caps and I can view my cameras away from home on the main stream vs sub stream.

The crazy thing is we've had fiber to the house since we moved in 8 years ago. I only know this because I was chatting with the guy repairing the line at the street one year that a utility worker hit. It never crossed my mind they might offer fiber plans (and really, they didn't until maybe 1.5 years ago, and back then I probably would have been too cheap to upgrade). Sometimes it pays to just ask for what you want.

Screenshot_20211219-090342.png

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with cable internet. Normally get around a gig and a half down but only 40 up. I'd love to trade this for 500/500 fiber.

Speed Test 2022 04 16.jpg