Intel i5 Blue Iris CPU Usage

j3novax1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just finished my Licensed Blue Iris 4 build on Windows 10 and was wondering what the normal CPU usage would be for the following specs:

System:

Intel i5 7600 (Kaby Lake with Intel HD 630)
ASRock B250M-Pro Motherboard
120GB SSD
Seagate SkyHawk Surveillance 3TB HDD
8gb Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM

*no other software besides Google Chrome as my browser and Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is installed.

IP Cameras:

4 x Dahua HDW4431C-A - 4MP H265+
2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD - 8MP H265+

I am running the system 24/7 with continuous recording with remote web access to view sub streams and I have enabled the following settings on Blue Iris.

H265+ Direct to Disk
Intel Hardware acceleration
15 FPS on all cameras
Live view @ 1 FPS
Run as a service
Disabled overlays

I am getting between 55% min to a high of 85% CPU utilization and my ram usage is above 50% consistently.

I have the Dahua set to a resolution of 2560 x 1440 @ 15 FPS on a CBR of 4096. The Hikvision is set to a resolution of 3840 x 2160 @15 FPS on a CBR of 8192.

Can someone please help me as the three main concerns are:

1) What resolution and bitrate should I really be using for these two specific IP Cams. I think the resolution and bitrate may need some adjustments so please help me out.

2) Is my CPU usage normal or is there something I can do to reduce this to hopefully below 30%.

3) On service mode, the Live view doesn't work when I open up the Blue Iris UI. I can play recorded and current BVR files but I can't stream live views from any of the cameras.

I am also using the older Intel HD 630 driver (15.46.02.4729) as I read on another thread that it helps but my usage still spikes between 55%-85%.

b3.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just finished my Licensed Blue Iris 4 build on Windows 10 and was wondering what the normal CPU usage would be for the following specs:

System:

Intel i5 7600 (Kaby Lake with Intel HD 630)
ASRock B250M-Pro Motherboard
120GB SSD
Seagate SkyHawk Surveillance 3TB HDD
8gb Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM

*no other software besides Google Chrome as my browser and Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is installed.

IP Cameras:

4 x Dahua HDW4431C-A - 4MP H265+
2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD - 8MP H265+

I am running the system 24/7 with continuous recording with remote web access to view sub streams and I have enabled the following settings on Blue Iris.

H265+ Direct to Disk
Intel Hardware acceleration
15 FPS on all cameras
Live view @ 1 FPS
Run as a service
Disabled overlays

I am getting between 55% min to a high of 85% CPU utilization and my ram usage is above 50% consistently.

I have the Dahua set to a resolution of 2560 x 1440 @ 15 FPS on a CBR of 4096. The Hikvision is set to a resolution of 3840 x 2160 @15 FPS on a CBR of 8192.

Can someone please help me as the three main concerns are:

1) What resolution and bitrate should I really be using for these two specific IP Cams. I think the resolution and bitrate may need some adjustments so please help me out.

2) Is my CPU usage normal or is there something I can do to reduce this to hopefully below 30%.

3) On service mode, the Live view doesn't work when I open up the Blue Iris UI. I can play recorded and current BVR files but I can't stream live views from any of the cameras.

I am also using the older Intel HD 630 driver (15.46.02.4729) as I read on another thread that it helps but my usage still spikes between 55%-85%.

View attachment 22204
try using h.265 not +....+ is proprietary...
are you viewing on a local monitor? or remoting in?

j3novax1

n3wb
Reaction score
try using h.265 not +....+ is proprietary...
are you viewing on a local monitor? or remoting in?
Hi fenderman,

Viewing on a local monitor.

I will switch the cams to h.265 tomorrow morning and see how it goes. It's midnight here in Australia :)

Any suggestions on the resolution and bitrate?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you exclude all BI folders from your Antivirus in bitdefender? Also in Windows defender?
FYI: H.265 takes more horsepower than H.264.

j3novax1

n3wb
Reaction score
Only had free time today to change all the camera setting to H.264 and CPU usage is around 25~30% however after a few hours (4 hours+), the usage goes back up to around 60-75% which is odd.

BI folders are excluded.

Any other suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Only had free time today to change all the camera setting to H.264 and CPU usage is around 25~30% however after a few hours (4 hours+), the usage goes back up to around 60-75% which is odd.

BI folders are excluded.

Any other suggestions?
You have a memory leak related to the Intel HD driver... search memory leak here for the correct driver...

ITTOG

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having issues as well. My hardware is similar to yours but second gen i-series. I was planning to buy new hardware but then saw this post. Does anyone know if there is Blue Iris recommended hardware? If I can't get this resolved I may look for an alternative software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having issues as well. My hardware is similar to yours but second gen i-series. I was planning to buy new hardware but then saw this post. Does anyone know if there is Blue Iris recommended hardware? If I can't get this resolved I may look for an alternative software.
You cannot have the same problem unless you have the same cpu and the same cameras set to the same load...
note that hardware acceleration only works on 1080p cameras with the second gen intel hd...you dont state the cpu usage...there is no alternative software at this price point or even close. There are thousands of users here running with no issues..