Insurance Fraud Outside My Home

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I wish I could get a refund on my taxes, what a big waste of money
I want a refund on my insurance. You know they up our insurance to pay for all of this Cr@P!

My dad had a gal rear end him 2 months into a brand new car. Car totaled,
Insurance paid it off and gave him 60% of new price for the car. :angry:

I was looking at VIN numbers a few years later in carfox, and pulled up that old VIN.
It had been totaled twice after that about 2 years apart in 2 different states.

Talk about insurance fraud, it's right there in carfox that they have subscriptions to.
My insurance company pulls up every car I bring in for coverage, and hands it to me.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a policeman tell me that they only take reports on burglary because "insurance covers it all anyway"
It was over $2,000, and I had the plate number that did it. Nothing ever happened.
Second time was a B & E, by a homeless that lived about 150' away. They did not even go talk to the guy.

I know someone who had a B&E;

Cops show up, and,

Going to investigate? Nope

Going to dust for prints? Nope

Going to interview neighbors to see if they saw anything? Nope

Going to see if any surveillance cams in the neighborhood saw anything? Guessing you know the answer by now.

Written report for insurance and gone.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Holy smokes

HPD just called me back after I called them to complain, they said they will not send an officer out. They literally do not care, they confirmed on the phone they don't even want the video
You should be able to get a police report, if filed, by way of a open public records request. Sometimes just calling and asking for a police report based on the plates will work. These fuckers need to be punished.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
You should be able to get a police report, if filed, by way of a open public records request. Sometimes just calling and asking for a police report based on the plates will work. These fuckers need to be punished.
Honestly, I'm starting to side with these guys. I mean, why not? If they can make a buck off of it and no one cares, I feel like they might be smarter than I am wasting my time calling the police

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm starting to side with these guys. I mean, why not? If they can make a buck off of it and no one cares, I feel like they might be smarter than I am wasting my time calling the police
It costs you money in the long term. Even if they are with another carrier. The actuarial tables are based on all accidents. There is also the satisfaction of nailing a smartass to the wall.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I would definately mail it in to major insurance companies like wittaj said. Hopefully it will make it to their insurance provider. Also contact local news media outlets :)

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Put it up on YouTube or Rumble. Send a link to the local news outlets. If they call you, just tell them you have no idea what it was, insurance fraud, two guys pissed off, an experiment, or what, but you figured they might find it interesting.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I think they were oblivious to the cameras. First because they're not all that smart in the first place and second because most people never notice cameras anyway.
Most people think security camera video looks like the video shown on the 6:00 news where the local quickie mart gets knocked over and you can't tell from the video if Leisure Suit Larry knocked it over or if was Biden.....

Reaction score
HPD just called me back after I called them to complain, they said they will not send an officer out. They literally do not care, they confirmed on the phone they don't even want the video
To play devil's advocate: what crime was committed? You witnessed two men come to an agreement. One of them ran his car into the other's car, again by mutual agreement. People have the right to damage and destroy their own property.

No crime is committed until one or both of those men file insurance claims. Until (and if) that happens, the HPD couldn't do anything even if they wanted to.

This needs to be reported to the insurance companies. Let them handle it.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Traffic laws were broken, and the actions of these idiots can be seen as reckless.

Personally, I would check out the high density of auto shops less than 400 feet to the west of where this occurred. The fact that the one auto already had rear panel damage and a temp plate supports the idea that they came from one of those shops north of the golf course.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone want to commit some insurance fraud with me? The police don't care, we could get away with it even if someone tries to report it
Sounds like they're treating it as an accident report rather than a possible fraud.

I was looking at VIN numbers a few years later in carfox, and pulled up that old VIN.
It had been totaled twice after that about 2 years apart in 2 different states.
You need our system. Over here insurance is compulsory - over here they always prosecute without and if caught they will seize and crush your vehicle.

We also have "HPI" reports - when a car is totalled over here it goes on a central database that records the accident. Certain catgeories of accident ensure a vehicle can never be repaired and put back on the road and for thsoe that can, they are registered as previously written off and it has to be advertised to the buyer along with the category of damage. Additionally, buyers can do a search through HPI or another company and it reveals whether the vehicle you are buying has ever been written off.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It was a car crash on a public road. Contrast that to two cars hitting each other in Walmart parking lot the police will always say it is a private lot.

Maybe they were just practicing for the county fair demolition derby lol, but I doubt it.

In any event, I think sending it to insurance companies is you your best bet. They all talk and they will go after fraud and have the high priced attorneys to do so. HPD may not want to do anything, but I would be shocked if the insurance company didn't.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm almost certain this violates a traffic law, I'll find which one soon
In New Jersey they would be guilty of, Careless driving, reckless driving, failing to report an accident. Though careless is subsumed in the reckless. If you want the cops to respond just tell them that they weren't wearing masks and they appeared to be unvaccinated.