Installation project, your advice requested!

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, from what I've been reading on this subject, let me make sure I'm understanding correctly. These satellite dishes/bridges need a roughly unobstructed view between each other, correct? There are a handful of trees between his shop, field and grain facility, but not a lot.

He has a 50ft radio tower at his shop, I'm assuming I'll need to put one dish/bridge on his radio tower, run Cat5 down conduit to his shop and connect it to his router. Then I'll need to put the other dish/bridge at his grain facility, perhaps on top of one of his silos? Then run Cat5 down conduit to his tin shed and connect it to the POE/Toughswitch. Then comes the issue of how to run Cat5 to his cameras. Any suggestions on that?

Is this roughly correct?

I've attached some pictures and a diagram too to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly and so you get an idea of how everything looks.
diagram.jpgmap.png

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It will work with ease if your worried step up to the 19dbi model

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, from what I've been reading on this subject, let me make sure I'm understanding correctly. These satellite dishes/bridges need a roughly unobstructed view between each other, correct? There are a handful of trees between his shop, field and grain facility, but not a lot.

He has a 50ft radio tower at his shop, I'm assuming I'll need to put one dish/bridge on his radio tower, run Cat5 down conduit to his shop and connect it to his router. Then I'll need to put the other dish/bridge at his grain facility, perhaps on top of one of his silos? Then run Cat5 down conduit to his tin shed and connect it to the POE/Toughswitch. Then comes the issue of how to run Cat5 to his cameras. Any suggestions on that?

Is this roughly correct?

I've attached some pictures and a diagram too to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly and so you get an idea of how everything looks.
View attachment 6893View attachment 6894

Exactly, after looking at your map, put the first item below on the tower, then put the second at the Bins pointed at the tower... Then sell him on the fact that he can then put cameras anywhere within a mile of the tower if he has power at the location. I actually do this on a golf course, one of the shot's has been working through 400'feet of woods at 4,600' for 2 years without a problem... It's not supposed to work, but does. LMAO Use direct burial/UV protected cable and some zip ties and forget about the conduit.

It will work with ease if your worried step up to the 19dbi model
SpyFly81, what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Rocket-BaseStation-AMO-5G10-Antenna/dp/B00M28RRUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449944904&sr=8-2&keywords=ubiquiti+rocket+m5

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A382BEY29W0YA9

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just run cat5 to your cameras from the PoE switch. The uplink out of the switch goes to the bridge, through the PoE injector that comes with the Ubiquiti device. We like using the loco M5 nano station.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just run cat5 to your cameras from the PoE switch. The uplink out of the switch goes to the bridge, through the PoE injector that comes with the Ubiquiti device. We like using the loco M5 nano station.
Me too. I use the dual port M5 nano stations with a Rocket M5 base station. Then you have to put a poe+ injector, and the Ubiquity power in a weather proof NEMA box at the bottom of a telephone pole, then camera and Nano M5 at the top. Been there actually do that for entrance gates! :)

@inforlonghaul

Here is a map of an existing, working installation that looks about the same distance.

Capture.JPG

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AIP8Z4?psc=1

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can I get some opinions about a different aspect of this discussion. I also have been looking at 4 camera systems for my optical shop. Obviously IP cameras/POE are the future. However, what if I have a very poor upload speed from my internet provider? Currently I am getting a max of 1MB upload speed (actually about 750kb) and do not want to install anything that wouldn't work well with that limitation. My understanding is that IP camera systems are more demanding of bandwidth especially during remote viewing (which I want to do). My security cameras are way less important than the other online stuff we have to do in the office and I don't want to compromise what we do. Second point: as a non-techie kind of person I detest tinkering with static IP's, DNS pointing, network issues etc. Frankly it just confuses me. I realize that my system will be installed by a professional but it still seems that all of this networking stuff is more prone to headaches than simply running some cables from 4 cameras to a DVR. I think that the 2.4MP 1080p images from a tvi system is probably more than enough for my needs and it seems simple enough. Any opinions on this?

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Blake, you should only need 2 nano stations. If you are in a rural area, you can use the locom2. They operate on 2.4ghz, and are about $20 less. Configure one as a station and one as an access point. Here is the video that I use to walk me through the configurations:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly, at the camera site I will need a poe switch and the poe block that comes with the loco m5?

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So if I understand this correctly, at the camera site I will need a poe switch and the poe block that comes with the loco m5?
Yes because the POE for the loco m5 doesn't work off the POE from a regular POE switch, it needs to use the poe injector it comes with.

Sample connection:
4 IP cameras<---cat5e--> 4 port poe switch + 1 uplink<----cat5e--->Nanostation<--------wireless-------->nanostation<--cat5e-->Router <----cat5e--->NVR

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
The first set of these that I put up was scary and I can understand your hesitation. I usually configure both devices in my office first. Make sure you label each unit as you configure them, station or access point. I usually write the ip address on the unit also with a magic marker. Once they are cinfigured, just put them up and aim them towards each other.