Install advice under soffit for dome camera, I botched my 1st install... PICS

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I botched my first install (see attached). Hoping for some advice to fix this AND how I can avoid in the future. There is a 2" space between my vinyl sofit and the plywood above. I used the HIKVISION junction box (2" depth) to fill that void and hoped the camera would cover the cut out, but it didn't work that way. I know technically the junction box should be outside, but wasn't sure on how to fill that 2" void. Any help is greatly appreciated. Do they have any trim pieces I can pop in? Also, what should I do for next install?

Attachments

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
alternately, get a dremel, make the hole an exact match to the junction box (looks like your whole is still smaller than that, space the junction box down with some wood, then caulk the slight seem around the junction box and soffit. if the soffit is kinda floppy, add some wood blocks on either side of the junction box to attached the soffit too

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow. Dude. You butchered that. You should have just ripped a piece of wood and placed it between the plywood and soffit so you could just mount against the soffit. But, it functions so that's what counts!

IMG_0761.JPG

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah bro, totally not needed to cut out the soffit. If u can buy two new pieces from Home Depot or Lowes I'd suggest doing that and then doing what I did. Buy a mount specifically for it like this... Kenuco Junction Box / Mounting Base for Hikvision Turret Camera DS-2CD23x2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BXAHDTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QL1Zxb5GXW2MK

Then pull soffit down and drill the mounting bracket thru the soffit and into a piece of wood (5X5" should do it) that you put on the other side. This will basically sandwich the soffit between the mounting bracket and the wood so it's nice and sturdy. Then attach the camera. That particular mount has side holes to fish the wires thru, or after u mount it, use a bore but and drill straight up and thru to fish the wires up into the eave. Here's a pic of mine, using rubber conduit since I didn't wanna wire it up into the attic for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nutshellml may have butchered that install but one thing is clearly evident...his soffits are much cleaner than @PSPCommOp!

View attachment 13059
Lol yes they are. This summers project was a new roof. Next year is the gutters and soffit replacement... And wiring this particular camera thru the wall and getting rid of the ugly conduit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HikVis turrets won't fit on the round junction boxes you commonly find at Home Depot or Lowes. At least not the 2342's, the screw holes on the edges are too far out as the lid covers are smaller and won't fit or even look flush. I spent an hour with a worker at each store trying to find larger ones and they didn't carry them. Had to order the ones I posted above from Amazon and return the ones I bought at Lowes for a refund. The ones above from Amazon are designed precisely for the Hik turrets and look seamless once the ring is added.

Now mini bullets might work with the square ones but the domes def didn't.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
white caulking around it for this year anyway ! or just use the piece of wood under it trick and looks like it will cover the whole after that.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In case anyone wanted to see how standard round junction boxes from Lowe's will size up to the custom turret brackets you can get on Amazon, here's a few comparison photos.

The junction box is noticeably smaller, and I don't think you would be able to get all three screws they the plate. You might be able to offset it to get two of them but it'll look weird IMO.

Hope it helps

kwijibo

n3wb
Reaction score
In case anyone wanted to see how standard round junction boxes from Lowe's will size up to the custom turret brackets you can get on Amazon, here's a few comparison photos.

The junction box is noticeably smaller, and I don't think you would be able to get all three screws they the plate. You might be able to offset it to get two of them but it'll look weird IMO.
Were those the 5.5" ones? Though it was a tight fit, the 4" round junction boxes worked fine for my smaller mini-dome install (2542).:)

https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Bell-PRB57550WH-Weatherproof-2-Inch-Outlets/dp/B008RGAJBE/

lts-2542-small-2.jpg lts-2542-small-1.jpg

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah bro, totally not needed to cut out the soffit. If u can buy two new pieces from Home Depot or Lowes I'd suggest doing that and then doing what I did. Buy a mount specifically for it like this... Kenuco Junction Box / Mounting Base for Hikvision Turret Camera DS-2CD23x2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BXAHDTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QL1Zxb5GXW2MK

Then pull soffit down and drill the mounting bracket thru the soffit and into a piece of wood (5X5" should do it) that you put on the other side. This will basically sandwich the soffit between the mounting bracket and the wood so it's nice and sturdy. Then attach the camera. That particular mount has side holes to fish the wires thru, or after u mount it, use a bore but and drill straight up and thru to fish the wires up into the eave. Here's a pic of mine, using rubber conduit since I didn't wanna wire it up into the attic for now.

@PSPCommOp What are you using there to protect the cable into the junction box?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Were those the 5.5" ones? Though it was a tight fit, the 4" round junction boxes worked fine for my smaller mini-dome install (2542).:)

https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Bell-PRB57550WH-Weatherproof-2-Inch-Outlets/dp/B008RGAJBE/

View attachment 13545 View attachment 13546
They were the 4.65" I believe? Def not the 5.5" and the people at Lowe's and Home Depot both said they didn't have the weather/waterproof ones in stock that were larger then that. They had metal ones but they were black and brown and didn't appear to seal very well so I just ordered the custom brackets I posted about above. They look nicer IMO too so I'm happy I went with them in the long run.

@PSPCommOp What are you using there to protect the cable into the junction box?
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-Liquid-Tight-25-ft-Conduit-Common-1-2-in-Actual-5-in/3137557

I was given two spools of this 3/4" from a friend so I used it with the junction boxes and the threaded connectors. Since it was free I decided to use this for the time being although eventually I may try and wire it directly into the house since I'm more comfortable with fishing wires now.