install 101 question

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ive ordered some cams from Andy. What i need to know is what cable and ends do i need to have to wire this all up?
its all poe,
when you google rj45, there are some somewhat confusing results.
so
What cable, ends and crimpers? I believe i have a set of klien crimpers from 100 years ago that will work.
Im sure ill have more stupid questions,
bob

EDIT
Read the top subject in the category and all will be revealed. Dumbass...lol

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Your best bet is to order from True Cable. They will have everything you need and all of the information on their site to help.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use solid (not stranded) copper (not CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) cable with the right jacket for the application. Use "CMR" (R=Riser) rated jacket for in-walls, between floors, and in crawl spaces and attics. It can be used under eaves and soffits if not directly exposed to sun and rain. For direct exposure to the elements use outdoor-rated jacket (insure has UV rating) and for in-ground, even if in underground conduit, use direct burial-rated jacket.

CAT-5e is good but CAT-6 can help to "future proof" your install and can be had in a larger 23 AWG conductor to insure more than adequate POE operation if deploying long runs and/or high demand POE devices. Insure the RJ-45 connectors will accommodate CAT-6 of 23 gauge. It's best also to insure the connectors are the triple-tang style that are made for solid or stranded conductors.

I prefer to install the cable through the wall or soffit then terminate with RJ-45 as it allows a smaller 3/8" hole for the un-terminated cable rather than a twice-as-big 3/4" hole for the camera pigtail or pre-terminated cable. I also prefer to use the junction box specifically made for the camera so that it can house the camera's pigtail, protecting it from the elements. I use them even when under the roof eave or soffit and weatherproof the tested connection with dielectric grease, self-curing rubber tape and electrical tape as described in detail here.

Last edited:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I suggest these with the insert especially with 23 gauge..
CNCOB Cat6 RJ45 Connectors, Cat 6 2-Piece RJ 45 Ends, UTP 8P8C Ethernet Connector Plug for Cat6 Cat5e Cable 100pcs

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.