Initial IP Camera and Location Question

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been lurking here for a while as I started researching security cameras. I am in the process of installing an alarm system so if you are over at cocoon tech you have probably seen my questions.

I have included a few pictures of my first two locations for installation of my cameras. They will be POE and I am planning on setting up a dedicated Blue Iris computer in my basement. Eventually I think I will have 6-8 cameras total. I originally was leaning towards a bullet but the recurring issues with spider webs (and the fact we seem to have a lot of busy spiders) has led me to a turret design. I was looking at the LTS CMIP3042W, 4mm. I included a link but if I recall correctly a forum member sells/is a dealer for the LTS. I had also looked at the CMIP 1142W, 4mm so if there are any opinions or preferences they would be much appreciated.

I will be pointing both cameras at an angle across the yard and driveway in between the gutter and the house. How much distance from the camera and the gutters should I be leaving so there isn’t reflection off the IR and gutter? I would like them to be inconspicuous but not hidden, meaning if someone is close and sees them that is fine I just don't want it to be the first thing someone sees when they look at the house.

IMG_1773.JPGIMG_1774.JPGIMG_1775.JPGIMG_1776.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the downspouts than the gutters. The cams'll be pointing down a bit so away from the gutters. Looking at pic 3 (garage door and gutter/downspout), over the garage door and pointed away from the downspout should be ok. In my experience, 2-3 feet from a corner nook should be enough to cut down on cam interference from a spider's natural spot to build a web while still not putting the cam obviously way out in the open. To be sure though, before mounting you might want to use a long patch cord and view the cam at night before permanently screwing it in. Use a 2x4 mounted in a bucket of sand to mount the cam to so you can move it around easily. That won't give you long-term spider experience but will help with the IR reflection issues from nearby infrastructure.

Reaction score
Thanks Kawboy that's a good idea, I would prefer to do the install once so a night or two of prep would be worth it.

Reaction score
Just a quick question, when installing the LTS 3042W camera (or one like it) is it typically necessary to purchase the LTB347, wire housing/junction? I am planning on installing the camera under the soffit and drilling through the wall and going down into my basement, I won't be running the cable through the soffit, just along it and directly into the wall. Thanks for the help. Also, I assume these cameras can be tilted by hand in the housing, is that a correct assumption?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, when installing the LTS 3042W camera (or one like it) is it typically necessary to purchase the LTB347, wire housing/junction? I am planning on installing the camera under the soffit and drilling through the wall and going down into my basement, I won't be running the cable through the soffit, just along it and directly into the wall. Thanks for the help. Also, I assume these cameras can be tilted by hand in the housing, is that a correct assumption?
There is a screw to loosen to allow moving the camera...dont run the cable exposed it looks like crap...run it in the soffit...you dont need junction box, stuff the cable back in the soffit after wrapping the connection in coax seal/silicon tape..

Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, hopefully placing an order soon. I am finding out that some of the good outlet deals go pretty quickly. Hopefully I snag one soon.