Inexpensive PoE camera for overview of door for package deliver / porch piracy?

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there an inexpensive PoE camera out there that people in this forum like where the specs don't have to be particularly high-end?

I plan to have a 5442 turret at the top of my front door facing out towards the street for identifying people.

I'm also wanting to have a camera to oversee the front door.

The concept is that I would have a good camera (the 5442) to identify someone approaching the door. But if they bend down to steal a package that's been left on my porch, the 5442 won't catch them in the act.

Firstly, which camera could this be?

Second, because I'm a noob, is this even a valid concept?

The controller is likely to be Blue Iris.

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you both. But the 2 cams look to be high(er) end.

I'm thinking for just being able to prove that someone pinched my package, a year 2000-era webcam (360p?) could be good enough.

Yes, I'm cheap. But also the additional requirements that make the ideal camera harder to find might be the desire to have it PoE and to have it compatible with Blue Iris so that I can ingest the footage.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case, and as long as you know the camera will be crap for identify, any POE camera that says it is ONVIF compatible will work. Dare we say a cheap reolink LOL (no don't lol). A cheap Amcrest would work fine.

ipmania

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In that case, and as long as you know the camera will be crap for identify, any POE camera that says it is ONVIF compatible will work. Dare we say a cheap reolink LOL (no don't lol). A cheap Amcrest would work fine.
The 5442 above the door facing the street will do the identifying. But due to its position, it might only see the perp bend down and then walk away. ("I was just tying my shoes...") A lower quality image of him actually picking up my package and tucking it into his jacket could be useful.

I will investigate lower-end Amcrest ONVIF cameras.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score

Might want to wait for it to come back down on price. Just bounced back up today. You can get them fairly regularly for $45-$50.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.