Indoor vs Outdoor Cable

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK so if I have 20' of underground POE cable and another 20' indoors on one end to connect cameras; another 20' or so indoors on the other end to connect to the server:

1 What is the best underground cable to use? http://www.outdoor-ethernet-cable.com/?

2 Is it better to continue the use of the underground cable on both ends indoors, or will it degrade the signal if I use connectors on each end and switch to indoor cable on each end?

3 Also can anyone explain these wires in an Ethernet cable?
Ethernet cable xsection.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Outdoor cable is usually more expensive because it is made to withstand the weather. It is not typically used indoors because if it burns it can give off toxic gas. I have used outdoor cable inside for short runs and I have few worries. If my house is on fire, my residential wiring will be the least of my issues. There is no signal issue using a quality outside wire inside.
If I were to rewire my house ( and hell froze over) I would go with some cat6 23AWG cable instead, but that is overkill for relatively short runs and normal terminators don't fit only punch downs.