Indoor setup, will this work?

ZyBeR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to install a camera indoors to keep an eye on my bottom floor and have been looking at this one:
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

I did a little drawing based on the info I could gather but I still want a 2nd opinion if this setup will be good enough to id people, I'm leaning towards the 3.6mm (blue) lens.
What's your take on this, will it work, would you have done it differently and would you use the same camera - if not, which then?

Camera Setup.png

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@ZyBeR You appear to have good drawing skills. you should change the length of the solid angle triangles to reflect a fixed pixels per foot (ex 100 ppf) at the radius. that would reveal that he red is more than twice as long (radius is 2.16x) as the grey. You should rotate all of them anti-clockwise to not show any of the right wall and windows, in particular the red.

My opinion is that although the 6mm red image will give you substantially better ID resolution, the 87 deg 3.6mm will work just fine there to 20 ft or so and basically let you see wall to wall, keeping an eye on things all the way into the other rooms, even if you cant ID people until they get into this room.

ZyBeR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bug99 I've updated the drawing after your suggestions (100ppf, which I get to 19.2ft sides of the triangles). Would this mean I wouldn't be able to id a person outside of the triangles?
Camera Setup 2.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would take the Grey 2.8 out of the equation.
You best choice are the blue and red. If you use the red, then you may want to add a second cam.
The 3.6 mounted in the corner, will give you wall to wall view. And would probably be my choice.