Improving Nigh Vision Quality

Yostie

n3wb
Reaction score
Gents,

I have a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS, and have been playing around trying to get the best quality night vision. Below is a snapshot of what I have so far. Can anyone give any pointers on how I can improve the quality. Would a IR illuminator be good idea, and if so, what brands do you guys recommend.

Cheers

Yostie

Attachments

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Play with the gamma setting on your Graphics card, you'll be surprised cause the defauld is not for black and white pictures.

Just increase gamma

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First time I see someone recommending changing gamma to improve night vision, but I guess you can try that. The IR reflection from the tree branch on the right is having some effect, especially if you have smart IR on. Can you cut or at least move the branches out the way? That should help some. Also, have you played with WDR settings?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
First time I see someone recommending changing gamma to improve night vision, but I guess you can try that. The IR reflection from the tree branch on the right is having some effect, especially if you have smart IR on. Can you cut or at least move the branches out the way? That should help some. Also, have you played with WDR settings?
https://www.google.com/search?q=optimal+gamma+setting+for+night+photos&biw=1736&bih=1001&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCOKXzu6yx8gCFUg6PgodKbgFFA

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Really, why don't you just look at image above and adjust gamma.
Because the image should look good on any monitor...adjusting the gamma on your own monitor will cause it to be off when you provide to to authorities. The issue with the image in the op is that the tree near the camera is reflecting IR...it needs to be trimmed.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score

This is for an NVIDIA card. It will take you thru it step by step.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
How do the daytime clips look after you've adjusted your monitor for night time clips?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Because the image should look good on any monitor...adjusting the gamma on your own monitor will cause it to be off when you provide to to authorities. The issue with the image in the op is that the tree near the camera is reflecting IR...it needs to be trimmed.
I think original image is provide to authorities, authorities are allowed to adjust gamma and other settings on their monitor. Anyone can adjust monitor settings, it reversible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think original image is provide to authorities, authorities are allowed to adjust gamma and other settings on their monitor. Anyone can adjust monitor settings, it reversible.
Yes but most will not...it would then have to be readjusted at the station and then possibly the courtroom. You are assuming that there is someone there who knows what they are doing...I can assure you that is not the case. What about when the video get sent to the defense attorney as discovery, will you include instructions on how to adjust the gamma? The camera needs to be setup properly.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
How do the daytime clips look after you've adjusted your monitor for night time clips?
Yes that is great question, the best answer I can give is get a pure LED monitor that has infinite dynamic range. Presently we probably all have cheap LCD (LED back lite) <500 bucks monitors. Keeping a WDR feeds in both day and night looking great with one monitor setting isn't possible.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Video getting to defense attorney??????????????????????? . Sure camera needs to be set up properly, even when it is our monitors cannot display day and night equally.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Video getting to defense attorney??????????????????????? . Sure camera needs to be set up properly, even when it is our monitors cannot display day and night equally.
Yes, in the US, if the prosecutor wants to use the video at trial, they must provide a copy to the defendants attorney. If they fail to provide the video in a timely fashion it is inadmissible at trial. They can not provide a dark copy and then play a bright one at trial. That would be cause for a mistrial. If you simply intend to use your cameras to create home video for yourself then by all means, adjust your monitor.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
A customer in my sister-in-law restaurant was acting weird, when he left and came back and said waitress didn't give him back his credit card. My wife looked at video, sharpened it, came down stairs and told him we had it on video, that he got it and put it in his wallet. he left, no problems.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Fenderman please calm down, it is extremely rare for a BI video to go to a prosecuter and even rarer if that is the only evidence. At night any defence lawyer's expert witness can po po even the best quality video.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
My sister in law has cooking oil recycled, she change companies. The old company came one day and moved new companies container 6 store over. New company said container was stolen. We reviewed video and warned old company about what happened. Prosecutor not needed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman please calm down, it is extremely rare for a BI video to go to a prosecuter and even rarer if that is the only evidence. At night any defence lawyer's expert witness can po po even the best quality video.
I am very calm. Just pointing out that its silly to adjust the monitor when you can properly install and adjust the camera. This has nothing to do with BI. Its video in general. Bi is no different than an NVR/DVR. Its NOT rare for surveillance video to be introduced at trial. It is VERY rare to have an expert with respect to video on a theft/robbery case. They are expensive and generally only used in serious cases. Adjusting the monitor is curing the symptom not the problem. Should I also adjust the gamma on every pc from which I use the webserver? What about the gamma on every tablet and smart phone? How will that affect the other apps I use on those machines?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
A family came to eat and placed their infant child on top of toddler chair in the infant carrier. A customer walked by and bumped the chair and the baby fell out(fortunately face up. My brother-in-law was shitting bricks until we got the video clip for him showing what happened. Prosecuter not needed.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I am very calm. Just pointing out that its silly to adjust the monitor when you can properly install and adjust the camera. This has nothing to do with BI. Its video in general. Bi is no different than an NVR/DVR. Its NOT rare for surveillance video to be introduced at trial. It is VERY rare to have an expert with respect to video on a theft/robbery case. They are expensive and generally only used in serious cases. Adjusting the monitor is curing the symptom not the problem. Should I also adjust the gamma on every pc from which I use the webserver? What about the gamma on every tablet and smart phone? How will that affect the other apps I use on those machines?
If the camera specs are better than monitor, what is to be done?