Imporx PTZ X20 2MP Speed Dome Chimney Mount.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I initially planned to mount this on the shed but its HUGE! So, out came the ladders, captain brave underpants and a rattle tin of matt brown.

For the money the performance of this cam is superb, its a monster and I only got it for the shits and giggles but glad I did. Its great for watching the wild life.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good, very nice, good thing the UK is not known for its long hot summers or I'd be worried about that thing overheating up there... but it looks like your more likely going to have moss growing on it first.

Here in colorado if I painted a piece of metal dark brown and put it on my roof, I'd expect to find it too hot to even touch on most days in the summer.. but the sun is always shining here.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Looking good, I wish I could get one of these, but it will be out of place anywhere I would want to mount it due to its size. Btw looks like your roof is in need of some major cleaning.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that moss looks like structural moss to me, better not be so cavalier about cleaning it off.. :p

I like the colors, i'd keep the patina.. :)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@LeeH,

For my previous job developing covert cameras to be mounted on the outside of vehicles in Afghanistan, I ran a quick test. I took an available extruded aluminum enclosure from our lab's bone yard.

We put it in the parking lot (black asphalt, we thougt it close enough to the balck Chevy Suburbans that would have our cameras)

The enclosure had heat sink fins (not a smooth box). Fins are good to shed heat from inside to outside.

On a 70F day in Seattle (not direct sun angle), our thermocouples measured 130F inside the enclosure.

Sure, the heat sink fins could be blamed. They increase surface area, to aid heat transfer from inside (hot) to outside (cooler).

But the increased black surface area on the outside increased the solar heating effect. We had a ~60F delta. Conclusion: In direct sun, "cooling fins" turn into "heating fins"

Re-Reading the above, it sounds obvious. LOL. Maybe us electrical folks weren't up to the thermodynamic aspect....

Bottom Line: Solar heat is real. Electronics generate their own heat, which needs to leave the enclosure. If sun is hitting the box, the heat may travel INTO the box, instead of OUTSIDE the box. And we all know, heat is a mortal enemy of electronics! Leads to premature demise, dropouts, etc.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting I don't really get why one would need something more geared for a business/ and this big on their home but to each is their own.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting I don't really get why one would need something more geared for a business/ and this big on their home but to each is their own.
Because the smaller mini PTZ's never have 20 or 30X zoom and also do not have IR's. Only these big type PTZ's have specs like that.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looks good how was the wire ran underneath the chimney ? curious as to how you tapped into your roof to your attic?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Your title caught my eye - since that's pretty much where I mounted my 20x ptz (Sunba). Fortunately, it was a new construction, and the masons offered help pretty it up as they applied the stone and mortar.

2016-04-15_22-21-21.jpg

That's a screen grab from this drone video of the house...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
awesome, that looks like a well defensible castle..

not often you see install videos from that height, thanks.. those guys got it easy with that scaffolding, good thinking to install it now.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sorry to the OP for thread-jacking, but... Yeah, that location isn't ideal for security purposes. The roof line is literally everywhere. There is only one purpose for that camera - and that's to capture the beautiful scenery over the bluff. I have configured to take sequential stills of various interest points in the valley - which will ultimately be stitched together to create a 12-second, one-year time lapse. I have three more of these cameras that will get installed on the front (approach) side of the property for security. Since this is a vacation/bug-out home, it sits unoccupied most of the time.

Here's the view from that chimney mounted camera (time-lapse morning fog):

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
that moss looks like structural moss to me, better not be so cavalier about cleaning it off.. :p

I like the colors, i'd keep the patina.. :)
His roof is actually pretty clean. we get a lot worse than that, its what happens when you live in the North Sea on a rock that is constantly wet, my motorised dish has a similar moss affect cba to clean it, if it works dont try and fix it i say :)

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did plasti dip my Hikvision 5220 as i did not want a shiney white object on the house wall where everything is anthracite colored. Will post some images once it is on the wall.

billt

n3wb
Reaction score
His roof is actually pretty clean. we get a lot worse than that, its what happens when you live in the North Sea on a rock that is constantly wet, my motorised dish has a similar moss affect cba to clean it, if it works dont try and fix it i say :)
For information that is lichen, not moss. It's much more benign than moss, very slow growing and won't do any damage during an ordinary lifetime, just adds to the patina. It also means that the air is clean!

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your title caught my eye - since that's pretty much where I mounted my 20x ptz (Sunba). Fortunately, it was a new construction, and the masons offered help pretty it up as they applied the stone and mortar.

View attachment 9948

That's a screen grab from this drone video of the house...

Nice looking house but the deal breaker for me is that drop off with not even some kind of property before it to it kill the fire pit vibe in the back yard nights for me