Imporx IMP-3MP98A-h

Reaction score
Has anybody got one of these Imporx PTZ camera Mod number IMP-3MP98A-H. I am new to this and have this one set up using it with iSpy because so far this the only way
I can have this cam and my Dlink 5020L working on the same screen. I was just wondering about how to check and update the firmware safely.
Also looking into which POE NVR to go with or if I should go with a POE switch and just a normal NVR. I plan to have possibly 2 more POE cams outside and 2 wireless cams inside including my Dlink if possible. any useful input would be much appreciated. I'm getting anxious to move onto the next stage but don'n need to buy things i don;t need if you know what I mean.:nevreness:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering about how to check and update the firmware safely.
Lesson #1: If its not broken dont fix it.. writing firmware to embedded hardware is always a risky proposition.. Unless your having a problem you have confirmed is fixed in a newer firmware you have nothing to gain and everything to loose by performing updates for no reason other than you can.

I learned this one the hard way about 20 years ago, when I destroyed $5k worth of computer when I encountered a brownout while trying to see if a BIOS update would fix a problem.. turned out the update would have never fixed the problem because the replacement motherboard came already updated and had the same issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks for replying so fast, and I agree with you, I do have a couple niggly probs which I would like to get sorted but as far as the firmware I should have asked where to check for the official place to look. From what i can see this model number pops up on two or three different makes of camera. The rest of my last post is where i could really do with the help.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wire up all your cameras you can, you'll be lucky to get 2 WiFi cameras online before you completely trash your WiFi and everything goes to crap.. Wifi is for Webcams, Ethernet is for Security Cams.. If you want a NVR thats going to be saving a feed remotely then you have to guarantee connectivity and throughput, Wireless cannot provide you with that.. its okay if your looking at the feed every once and a while but once it requires a constant uninterrupted stream to a NVR its no longer going to work.

I advise to get a PoE switch and a normal NVR, there's alot more PoE devices out there than IPCameras that might interest you.. specifically Wireless Access points, a PoE one on the celling of your living room will perform so much better than shoving it behind a bunch of equipment somewhere... the only advantage to built in PoE on the NVR is Simplicity, and a lil bit of security.. typically anything plugged into your NVR wont be accessible from your network.. you'll be able to connect to NVR and get streams but not directly to the cameras.. that can be good if your using that for extra isolation to secure your cameras, or bad if you need to change settings directly on the camera.

Personally I prefer PoE MidSpans over PoE switches or NVR's, I use a 48p Gigabit managed switch, and have full speed too/from all the ports.. a PoE version of this would have cost me a bloody fortune, but the dozen or so PoE ports I needed are provided by a MidSpan and I dont have any bandwidth issues with switch uplinks.

Usually for firmware issues you contact manufacturer and outline your problems, they should be able to gain access to the changelogs and see if any of the changes could of fixed your problems.. really sucks when they dont provide change history.. if its a critical show stopping bug you may have no choice but try to upgrade blindly, but if its just a nuisance you can live with, that might be wise to just let it be.

Reaction score
Thanks again for the fast reply. I noticed you used the word Bloody are you by any chance a Brit an Aussie or a Kiwi by any chance ? I'm originally from England. Anyway my Imporx is the furthest away at about 120 foot max, that has its own supply. Just a thought if I leave the supply to that and then plug its cat5 connector into a POE port could that do any damage to anything. And the other runs would not be any longer than 70 feet max so i'm thinking perhaps a POE switch and a normal NVR that way as you said I can still control the cams if i'm understanding you correctly. I really do appreciate your help by the way.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
heh I get asked that alot, no I am 100% fat lazy american.. (yes I have 0% body fat, but I kno the sterotypes :p) I telework with teams all over the world and after all these years I have cherry picked all the words I like.. I use bloody/holiday so often your not the first to ask, my latest favorite word adoption is Schenaria, which is Hindi for scenario but looks and sounds much cooler :p

Its not a great idea to hookup two power supplies to a single device, usually they were not engineered to be used in such ways and the results can be unpredictable... however, 802.11AF PoE requires a complaint device to be plugged in before it provides power.. you can plug any network device, PoE or not, into a 802.11AF port and it will do no harm.. The Switch/NVR will not provide power unless a certain resistance indicates its a PoE device.. so if your Imporx is not a PoE Camera then it'll be fine plugging it into a PoE port and giving it power separately.

Reaction score
Once again thank you for the fast reply. I'm thinking of this PoE switch I hope not to complicated for me and leaves some room for exspantion what do you think?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that should be fine, how many cameras do you think you'll top out at? once you hit about 8 cameras the NVR will need a Gigabit port, as the combined traffic from all the cameras will be very close to maxing out 100Mbit.. That GigE port is also usefull when transferring video or playing back recordings at high speed, so consider providing your NVR with a GigE port even if you use less than 8 cams..

FYI, most modern HD IP cameras use ~10Mbit at the highest quality they can muster... so they dont nessicary need Gigabit ethernet, but when combined at the NVR it starts adding up.

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that switch looks like it'll do the job at hand, for most residential installs 16 ports is adequate for the entire LAN.

the port your NVR goes into is the important one to have Gigabit Ethernet, say each camera uses 10Mbit and you have 6 of them then your NVR is going to be constantly using ~60Mbit, leaving less than a megar 40Mbit of overhead for remote management, copying video files off, etc.. those are like USB2.0 speeds and with that little overhead simple maintenance tasks could choke out the network and cause recording issues.

With your NVR given a Gigabit connection you know its got plenty of throughput for all your cameras and tons of extra so you can transfer data around as fast as it'll go without choking out network links.

I personally have 100Mbit internet speeds, so simple internet downloads in my house could choke a 100Mbit network connection down..

Reaction score
My router is an Asus AC1900 802.11 ac Gigabit so that should be OK and my download speed is 23.9Mbit not as good as yours I know that bit I might have to look at. And once gain thank you for all the help it's 11:45PM here so I'm of to bet have tobe up 6:0 AM thank you for all the help.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Has anybody got one of these Imporx PTZ camera Mod number IMP-3MP98A-H. I am new to this and have this one set up using it with iSpy because so far this the only way
I can have this cam and my Dlink 5020L working on the same screen. I was just wondering about how to check and update the firmware safely.
Also looking into which POE NVR to go with or if I should go with a POE switch and just a normal NVR. I plan to have possibly 2 more POE cams outside and 2 wireless cams inside including my Dlink if possible. any useful input would be much appreciated. I'm getting anxious to move onto the next stage but don'n need to buy things i don;t need if you know what I mean.:nevreness:
This is same as Huisun (Imporx buys it from them), we have forum discussing their cams.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/58-Huisun