IMPORTANT - Conversion Software for MJP Files

Cajun Bob

n3wb
Reaction score
We have a possible murder case we're working and it involves MJP files from a 3xLogic system. While we have great AI software to convert JPEG Sequences as well as MP4, Pro-Res, and other higher quality files on a mac, we have nothing that will upscale convert or crossgrade convert these MJP files.
Please help asap.
Thanks
Bob

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have a possible murder case we're working and it involves MJP files from a 3xLogic system. While we have great AI software to convert JPEG Sequences as well as MP4, Pro-Res, and other higher quality files on a mac, we have nothing that will upscale convert or crossgrade convert these MJP files.
Please help asap.
Thanks
Bob

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I've worked with several folks in the past with footage associated with potential legal action. At one point, chain of custody was super critical to video evidence. I wonder how much that has changed with increased popularity of NVR's? I am guessing it depends on the state/county/etc

Cajun Bob

n3wb
Reaction score
I work directly with the authorities and have full access to the files. But I'm stuck with the files given. Often, in addition to the native files, we'll take an HDMI output from the video card and convert it up to ProRes or H264 or 5 at least while recording. That though was not offered and the original files have since been erased.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that format was used on LG devices. Do you have any LG stuff to see if it will open them.

If they will, is there a conversion app to convert to mp4?

Cajun Bob

n3wb
Reaction score
Since I did not have access to the equipment, I can be certain but the Player used to view the files is 3XLogic. I contacted them first. No response, no call back... Yet.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That though was not offered and the original files have since been erased.
Most likely just the directory that points to the file data.
A common misconception amongst those who wish data to be beyond scrutiny.

There is quite a good selection of forensic software, both free and commercial, that's built to handle the often proprietary file systems of many brands of NVR.
Is that something you have explored, or are familiar with?

A few months back I bought a Hikvision NVR that still had the HDDs installed.
The seller had 'formatted' the HDDs via the NVR menu system and they were apparently blank.
Not so when processed via some forensic software.
"It's a Hikvision structured file system, here is a named and dated list of 10s of thousands of video files, which do you want to extract?"

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely just the directory that points to the file data.
A common misconception amongst those who wish data to be beyond scrutiny.

There is quite a good selection of forensic software, both free and commercial, that's built to handle the often proprietary file systems of many brands of NVR.
Is that something you have explored, or are familiar with?

A few months back I bought a Hikvision NVR that still had the HDDs installed.
The seller had 'formatted' the HDDs via the NVR menu system and they were apparently blank.
Not so when processed via some forensic software.
"It's a Hikvision structured file system, here is a named and dated list of 10s of thousands of video files, which do you want to extract?"
Super important info for those selling NVR's with drives in them.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep deletion doesn't remove files even on a pc, it simply marks them to be ignored. Only secure overwriting can make files irrecoverable.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Or SED (secure deletion) where the original data was encrypted before writing. Simply deleting the encryption key essentially makes them non-recoverable.

Nick70068

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can play the original video, then there is another option that I have used in the past to capture a video stream that I can't or unable to convert. A simple HDMI capture box can capture the video and save it in a common format.