Image Tearing

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm seeing this with the motion detected recordings of a 3mp, Hikvision 2CD2335-I camera. More or less the camera is at default settings - 3mp @ 15fps. Seeing it with both daytime and IR videos.

Any ideas what I should change?

Thanks....

CCTV_Blur.png

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not much difference by changing the "I Frame Interval" to 15 tbh

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not much difference by changing the "I Frame Interval" to 15 tbh
Did you leave the fps at 15? Make sure to match the iframe interval and fps.
Also increase the receive buffer to 20mb in BI.
Also is this camera connected via wired ethernet?

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, left the fps at 15. Just tried dropping it down to 2mp to see if that makes a difference. Yes it's on a gigabit wired network.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try lowering the iFrame to half the FPS. It has helped ghosting for me. It might help here.

Also @fenderman, where is the receive buffer setting? Is it in the camera setting or in the general BI settings?

Last edited by a moderator:

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Per camera setting.

Camera Properties -> Video -> Configure

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you leave the fps at 15? Make sure to match the iframe interval and fps.
Also increase the receive buffer to 20mb in BI.
Also is this camera connected via wired ethernet?
Increasing that buffer seems to have made a big difference thanks! I'll observe the camera/BI over the next few days to see how it works out.

howardm

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had a similar problem lately. Intermittent Image Tearing in all Hikvision direct to disk recording (15fps, Iframe at 15, Video buffer at max of 20MB). Same cameras viewed with a VLC rstp stream shows no issue. My non-direct to disk cameras also showed an issue where they briefly paused every second in a recording.
I am using BlueIris 4.4.2.0 now but reverting back to older 4.4.x versions or late 4.3.9 versions did not help. Also reducing CPU loading by going down to just one camera did not help. All cameras are on a direct wired Gigabit Ethernet (although of course the cameras only use 100m mode). The computer is Windows 10 with an Intel 5th gen i5-5250U CPU, 8GB ram, SSD, supports Intel Quick Sync, latest Intel released video driver.
The workaround for my direct to disk "tearing" and non-direct to disk pauses was to disable HW HD video decoding. The issue shows up when the "Intel HD Hardware Acceleration" Default was set "Yes (H.264) and each camera had the hardware decoding set to "default" (Note: I kept "Also use for BVR for playback" Off always, since it causes other issues).

Now I have each camera's "HW Decoding" set to "No" and the tearing is gone in direct to disk recordings, no pauses every second in non-direct to disk recordings , CPU usage seems higher though, it would be nice if HD decoding would work. Possibly this is an issue with the latest Intel HD 6000 graphics driver? Currently using Intel version 20.19.15.4463 dated 5/25/2016 (I also tried one older version and the latest beta version, no change in behavior)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In the Network IP camera configuration dialog (where the IP address and camera type are specified) try toggling the "Use RTSP/stream timecode" box. I usually toggle that one together with "Send RTSP keep-alives" when I'm trying to troubleshoot a problematic camera. It helps with my Acti E77 cams anyway ... pieces of junk that they are.

This isn't especially likely to help, but you never know.

howardm

n3wb
Reaction score
My cameras had the "Use RTSP/stream timecode" and "Send RTSP keep-alives" already checked when I was experiencing "tearing" with HW decoding. I tried re-enabling HW decoding while Unchecking those two options. It changed the tearing somewhat, now it sort appears ahead of the motion instead of behind it, but still no good. Disabling HW decoding is still the only effective workaround I have found.
Thanks for the suggestion!

In the Network IP camera configuration dialog (where the IP address and camera type are specified) try toggling the "Use RTSP/stream timecode" box. I usually toggle that one together with "Send RTSP keep-alives" when I'm trying to troubleshoot a problematic camera. It helps with my Acti E77 cams anyway ... pieces of junk that they are.

This isn't especially likely to help, but you never know.