Image skipping -hanging- for seconds

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one DH4631C attached to a Dahua NVR 4104 ... that stutters. The clock will march along, and then - skip 2-3 seconds during daylight ...perhaps 10-12 seconds after dark is the norm. Bugs look like shooting stars leaving a tail on screen. I set the bit rate to 25 (the max). I am not sure of where to look next? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one DH4631C attached to a Dahua NVR 4104 ... that stutters. The clock will march along, and then - skip 2-3 seconds during daylight ...perhaps 10-12 seconds after dark is the norm. Bugs look like shooting stars leaving a tail on screen. I set the bit rate to 25 (the max). I am not sure of where to look next? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim
could be many things...bad china hacked firmware, bad cables, the nvr is choking on a high bitrate. You say the bitrate is 25, do you main frame rate?

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
owlcam1.jpg owlcam2.jpg Thanks, Fenderman... Sorry, for the delay - we don't have cable out in the bush. (<100mi from the Whitehouse). 'Understand - most. I don't understand 'main frame rate' - I only set the frame rate on the NVR menu with my mouse. I do not seem to have access to a menu for the camera itself.

'My suspicion' ...humidity. Even tho' I have hidden both the camera and cable end in a box an owl occupies; I would bet humidity is an issue. I lost two HIK cameras to corrosion in quick order. Thanks.

Jim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 34789 View attachment 34790 Thanks, Fenderman... Sorry, for the delay - we don't have cable out in the bush. (<100mi from the Whitehouse). 'Understand - most. I don't understand 'main frame rate' - I only set the frame rate on the NVR menu with my mouse. I do not seem to have access to a menu for the camera itself.

'My suspicion' ...humidity. Even tho' I have hidden both the camera and cable end in a box an owl occupies; I would bet humidity is an issue. I lost two HIK cameras to corrosion in quick order. Thanks.

Jim
You need to weatherproof the ethernet connection with coax seal.

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Copy - the 'so-called' WP connector seems to not be so much, even with the best 3M tape. I have one of those black, tubular thingys that is almost the size of the camera. Big rain sweeping the Eastcoast on Tues. should provide a clue. Thanks. Jim

Wetstuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Took the dog out - middle of the night. I wear a headlamp so I don't fall down the steps. There was a 'rain-fog' - neither quite. It photographs well, however. Skips were in the 2-4sec range.

...I have a problem: the Screech owl sleeps days: I will probably have to get my headlamp and work at night to attach that casing. I also got a batch of desiccant packets. I add extra to the camera internally after the issues with the HIK) and will pack the casing also.

Jim

Attachments