Image cut in half and distorted

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have an older HikVision DS-2CD2132F-IS 2.8mm that I mounted to check on angles, video, etc. When I looked at the recording, it was completely wrong, i.e. there was an upper and a lower part. Also the upper part is completely distorted which you can also seen from the timestamp in the video. The funny thing is, that in the list of clips, the image that represents the clip shows up correctly, just not when you watch the recording. When you look at the live stream it also shows up directly. Among changing a lot of other parameters, I also changed from BVR to MP4. When I tried to play the clip (after pausing the recording) through BI, I got the error "Source file format is corrupt". However, when I go the the folder where the recordings are, that mp4 plays just fine with the "Movies & TV" player from Windows and the video shows up as expected. I don't see issues like that with my about 15 other cameras, most of them Dahua, Hikvision and Amcrest for indoor (except for this first HikVision I used indoor). Do you have any idea what is causing this, i.e. are there any other settings I can change so BVR does work?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once you start changing parameters like BVR to MP4, you are asking for trouble. Rarely is it a setting within BI that is the issue, especially if you have a running system that is fine otherwise.

You will inevitably change something you don't know what it does and forgot you changed it and causes some other problem.

When something like this happens, it is best to simply delete the camera and re-add it back to BI. Sometimes the camera gets wonky and deleting and adding back from scratch fixes it.

Make sure when you add it back that you type in IP address, username, password and hit find/inspect. That should be the first way to bring a camera in.

Also make sure hardware acceleration is off and within the camera GUI make sure you are not using any smart codec (like H264+)

If that doesn't fix it, then post screenshots of what pops up when you hit the find/inspect.

Reactions: rfj

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. I deleted the cam and added it back. Now it works perfectly fine with BVR. I think I added this camera by copying another HikVision cam. Apparently, I should have just created it from scratch. So far I never had issues creating a new cam from an existing one making sure the vendor of the cam is the same. Maybe I was just lucky all this time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks to me like you had accidentally turned on Blue Iris's fisheye dewarping, probably in "Ceiling" mode. This is in Camera settings > Video tab > 360. It is not intuitively labeled so you may have turned it on not knowing what it is. And furthermore, it doesn't affect live view so by the time you noticed it affecting recording playback, you'd forgotten all about the change.

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@bp2008, thanks! You are spot on! What is interesting is that this setting seems to affect how video is played. I did go back and forth between this setting. It doesn't seem to affect the recording. Instead, it seems to affect the playback. I am saying that because I can disable that setting and old video that showed up incorrectly now shows up correctly. I don't recall having changed anything there. What might have happened is that I copied a camera where this setting was enabled. It kind of makes sense because ALL recording for that camera (I just started yesterday afternoon) were all wrong. Thanks again!!