Image comparison of 3MP Turret vs 4MP Dome at Night

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Images re sized, All set to maximum resolution allowed @ 4Mbps Constant, settings are the same otherwise. It's pitch dark but there is some light from the window, you will see on the last image. Make your own judgement, but it's pretty obvious which one is better

IR is on on both cams, WDR off, Noise off,

IR is on on each cam only, WDR off, Noise off,

IR is on on each cam only, WDR off, Noise reduction 50%

IR is on on each cam only, WDR 50%, Noise reduction 50%

IR is off, WDR off, Noise reduction 50%

For comparison this is image from Longse s500 cam:

Last edited by a moderator:

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey the 4mp is easily the better eh?

Thanks for the pics and comparision. Theres a bit of coolness looking into someone elses backyard...haha.

Ive ordered some 2142 hope thats right 4mp domes. Basically on the 0.01 lux improvement. My 3mp are ok but i get no street light as my drive is long. Im hopeful for a night time improvement in clarity.

I think my 2132 3mp exceeds the night view of the 3mp turrets would that be correct??

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few questions
1. What is the distance from the camera to the cabin?
2. What is the size of the lens?
3. What is the camera image exposure?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I've been curious about how much difference there was, that helps a lot,

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
2.8mm lens, roughly 40 feet to the cabin. 1/30 exposure

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The picture with IR on, WDR off, Noise 50% is as close to perfect for the $$ as I have seen in these cams. Thanks for sharing.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The picture with IR on, WDR off, Noise 50% is as close to perfect for the $$ as I have seen in these cams. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, although daytime is not as obvious difference between the two, but for nighttime I am more satisfied with the image.

Benji

n3wb
Reaction score
Well that complete sells me 4MP cams and thank you very much for the comparison.

If I read the forum right it looks like the new 2MP cams might also be pretty good at night vision, how would they compare?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well that complete sells me 4MP cams and thank you very much for the comparison.

If I read the forum right it looks like the new 2MP cams might also be pretty good at night vision, how would they compare?
No one seems to have 2MP yet, but it's most likely will perform about the same as 4MP (the ones with 0.01 sensitivity) at night. Potentially, 2MP will show less noise at night, but 4MP will be better during day light due to more detail. Also, price difference is not that much between 4MP & 2MP.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm, don't see these in my LTS catalog yet...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

LeeH

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I've bought 1 to trail with a view to swapping all my Hikvisions out instead of the Hik 4mp range. I'll order both and do a comparison.

braddie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 4MP used (DS-2CD2142FWD) is a higher end 120dB WDR model that uses a slightly better sensor, whereas the 3MP (DS-2CD2332) is a Digital WDR model that costs half as much (even when it was still a new model). The comparison between those specific 3MP and 4MP models can therefore mislead some people into thinking the 4MP cameras are generally better. That happened to me when I was just starting to learn about all the different Hikvision cameras. The truth is that given a 3MP and a 4MP in the same price range (e.g. 3MP DWDR vs. 4MP DWDR), the 3MP would perform better at night. Just thought I'd mention this in case some uninitiated soul misunderstands the results like I did.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am really surprised the turret has such lousy night time IR. I would have figured it would be better than the dome. Do you still like it?