I'm looking for a dome camera better than 4K

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have Amcrest 4K cameras on my house. They are good, but I'm wondering if there is something better. I particularly would like something better for my driveway cameras so I can read license plates more clearly. Here is what they currently look like.

Driveway West 2023-02-28 01.26.41.67 PM.jpg

5x zoom.jpg

Does anyone know of a camera that would be better than this?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need OPTICAL zoom not DIGITAL zoom....

You may get away with some digital zoom in daytime, but the less the light, the less the ability to DIGITAL zoom.

Realistically if you want to capture plates consistently at that distance you need a varifocal OPTICALLY zoomed to that area.

This isn't Hollywood and the sensors are too small for a lot of digital zoom.

Now those Amcrest are cheap budget cams that put an 8MP on the same sensor as a 2MP, so it will not perform very well.

You would have better luck with the 5442 series or the 4K/T. But the 4K/T cannot see infrared, so you need to have available light or be willing to use the built-in white LED. But both will have a problem with digital zoom at night at that distance...

A 2MP varifocal optically zoomed to that distance will outperform a 2.8mm 4K camera at that same distance being digitally zoomed.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^^^^+1

This falls under the heading of trying to do too much with one camera.
Reading license plates requires a dedicated camera for the job.

Digital zoom only works in the movies, not in realty.

You would need another camera such as the 5442 mentioned above, zoomed in to the area where a license plate would pass within the field of View.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Take a look at the IPC-B5442E-Z4E, about $250, this will give you good range to read a plate on the driveway picture you posted.

My 5442 3.6 fixed will not read plates at 50', 40' maybe with some characters fuzzy as is that a 5 or S, 30' generally always.

Reaction score
1677622492619.png

See the LPR threads. Checkout these also:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is the problem with your 4K cameras. "CMOS 1/2.7” 8MP progressive CMOS image sensor". The sensor for a 4K camera should be a 1/1.2" or larger. That sensor on your camera would be fine on a 2MP camera.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
here is a 3241 ZAS 2MP varifocal from Empiretech, just for a frame of reference or example of what @wittaj means. I'm using little or no zoom, and the plate is visible enough to read, but im not zoomed on it. although that is not it's use case scenario in this instance.

also is a 5mp Amcrest 1179ew for your viewing pleasure.
And last but not least is the 4MP 5442 bullet camera zoomed in about 2/3rds of max. easily catching a plate from its mount on the back of the fucking house! to an intersection 120 feet away! and also a night shot.

1677659632676.png

1677658318427.png
1677658220492.png
1677658595700.png
Jnk_534.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have Amcrest 4K cameras on my house. They are good, but I'm wondering if there is something better. I particularly would like something better for my driveway cameras so I can read license plates more clearly. Here is what they currently look like.

View attachment 155499

View attachment 155500

Does anyone know of a camera that would be better than this?

Hi @bphillips

As noted by @wittaj @looney2ns @Rob2020 @samplenhold @Parley @Flintstone61 ..

The solution is MORE cameras .. lol as one noted here .. Camera's multiply like rabbits .. since we're talking rabbits ..

1677659929353.png

That noted, I would try to have a few cameras covering that driveway and garage areas .. remember to check the DORI specs, DORI section of the cliff notes .. and the as well as the IPVM calculator .. ( IPVM Designer / Calculator )

FYI - adding the camera in question mentioned to the thread, .. note, Amcrest does also at times have better models ..

1677659597915.png

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

I do have a 2nd driveway camera, but it's positioned to only catch license plates as a car enters the driveway, and they aren't great. I use Home Assistant to read license plates in order to open the garage door based on the plate and other rules. I'm looking for a camera that can help that work easier.

I ordered one of the 5442 cameras to try out.

Driveway South 2023-03-01 08.14.54.168 AM.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah a 5442 varifocal would be the good choice for that distance.

Ideally, you would like the field of view to basically be not much larger than the vehicle, like the red box below. Sure you could get away with a wider view, but if plates are your primary objective, you need to set it up for that role:

1677701107507.png

I hope you have some additional rules in order to open that garage door because it is really easy to fake a plate and gain access to the garage!

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah a 5442 varifocal would be the good choice for that distance.

Ideally, you would like the field of view to basically be not much larger than the vehicle, like the red box below. Sure you could get away with a wider view, but if plates are your primary objective, you need to set it up for that role:

View attachment 155614

I hope you have some additional rules in order to open that garage door because it is really easy to fake a plate and gain access to the garage!
Yep, right now it just reads my house cleaner's plate. It has a condition to only trigger on the days and times she is scheduled to be there. It also sends me a notification on my phone with a snapshot of the camera so I can confirm it's her. The notification also has an action button I can press to trigger the alarm.

I see your point that a plate can be faked. And if I was a mob boss or in the witness protection program I might be concerned about that. :)