I'm having trouble setting up a system that was down for 5 years

Reaction score
About 5 years ago, I had Blue Iris up and running, with version 2.something. Then we moved and I didn't get around to setting it up until now. I own the latest version, but am having difficulty getting it operating. The software runs, but I can't get it to recognize any of my cameras. I had set up instructions somewhere, but don't find them, and the seller I bought it from is not very helpful (he used to be). For example, I have regular (not IP) cameras. I remember having to go into the settings and make certain choices and then the camera would work. Now all I see is a drop down for IP cameras, and the model of this camera is not listed (it is an Anran).

Any help would be appreciated.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would start with the following....

1) Connect one camera to your LAN and obtaining the IP address of that camera.
2) On your desktop / laptop open IE11, Chrome, Firefox and enter the IP address into the browser (depending if you've changed the port address from the default 80 you will also need to enter that i.e. 192.168.1.101 or 192.168.1.101:5555 if you've changed the port)
3) If your network (PC and camera) can see each other you should get a login page to the camera... Enter your login credentials to your camera i.e. Login:admin password:help
4) If that fails troubleshoot your connectivity or depending what camera you are using, use the software that comes with your camera to discover the current settings.
5) Load Blueiris and select add a camera, it's the + sign at the top right corner and fill the section highlighted in yellow. Enter the same IP address and login details you entered in your browser
login.JPG
6) Hopefully a camera should appear, repeat for each camera you wish to add.

Reaction score
cyberwolf_uk, thanks for replying. As far as I know, this is not an IP camera. Here is the link to the camera and its specs: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/78-IR-1-3-1200TVL-SONY-CMOS-IMX138-Sensor-Waterproof-Security-CCTV-Camera-With-IR-Cut/1674535376.html

Does that provide any information that is useful?

Also, when you install a camera like this, there is a drop down (you put a tick in DirectShow driver on the setup page, not in Network Camera). The dropdown is supposed (according to the instructions) have Conexant's BtPCI Capture as one of the options, but it does not show up.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never used a capture card with BI before, but most likely you will find the capture card under "USB, Firewire, or Analog" device type. NOT Network IP device type. If it isn't there then you are likely missing the drivers. You say it worked with Blue Iris in the past and I see no reason why it would not still work today unless you changed to a newer OS that doesn't have compatible drivers anymore.

If you can't make it work, then be very careful about how you proceed in buying new equipment. It would be unwise to spend more money on the analog system, but at the same time your computer is probably not fast enough to handle multi-megapixel IP cameras.

Reaction score
cyberwolf_UK, LittleBrother and bp2008, yep, I am getting a quick education about the hardware. The capture card is obsolete and there are no drivers for it, not even for Windows 7. To invest in a new system is not something I am ready to do yet, but for about $30 I can get a Geovision capture card that will at least work with Windows 7, which should give me a few years of service, so I think I am doing that and then budgeting for a system with IP cameras. Thanks everyone for the input.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
cyberwolf_UK, LittleBrother and bp2008, yep, I am getting a quick education about the hardware. The capture card is obsolete and there are no drivers for it, not even for Windows 7. To invest in a new system is not something I am ready to do yet, but for about $30 I can get a Geovision capture card that will at least work with Windows 7, which should give me a few years of service, so I think I am doing that and then budgeting for a system with IP cameras. Thanks everyone for the input.
You wont be able to use the geovision card with blue iris. If the geovision card comes with software you might be a be able to get by...the image quality of your cameras will be severly lacking. Also consider that the pc is likely a power hog since its old and will cost you a significant amount to run.
You are better off with HD over coax like this
http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-1TB-HDD,--4-720p-Cameras-with-82'-Night-Vision.product.100239390.html
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-4-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-1TB-HDD,-4-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100237625.html
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD,-8-720p-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100161016.html
The image quality will blow your current setup away and you can use your existing coax.

Reaction score
That looks like an option, fenderman, but I do not currently have a budget for a new system. I am considering a less expensive option, like a newer capture card like this one

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/VVEbkpw

Thanks also for the bit about GeoVision and Blue Iris. I suddenly remember that I used a GeoVision system about 10 years ago (and it was fine) and that it came with its own software.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like an option, fenderman, but I do not currently have a budget for a new system. I am considering a less expensive option, like a newer capture card like this one

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cZyORaGY

Thanks also for the bit about GeoVision and Blue Iris. I suddenly remember that I used a GeoVision system about 10 years ago (and it was fine) and that it came with its own software.
Dont waste your money on that junk card. Also Put your pc on a killawatt meter. Over the course of a year or two it may cost you MORE to run the old pc and buy a capture card that a NEW 200 dollar system.