Illuminator questions

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
AC power is utilized for long distances as it's much more efficient.
Actually, DC is more efficient in terms of line losses and transmission line cost, and is used for the longest power transmission lines where the reduced line losses and costs outweigh the cost of the AC<->DC conversion equipment at each end. A DC transmission line uses 2 conductors compared to 3 for an AC line. There are no phase sync, inductance, or skin effect issues with DC transmission.
High-voltage direct current - Wikipedia
Pacific DC Intertie - Wikipedia
Difference Between AC & DC Transmission Line (with Comparison Chart) - Circuit Globe

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Problem with long distance DC power transmission is the very high voltages involved. There's a DC line, coast to coast, in Canada and it runs at 1 megavolt. A long distance, AC, high line here in the US runs at 500 kilovolts. Granted. they aren't going coast to coast and with either one you're toast, really burned toast, if you come in contact between a line and ground. Heck, even the 250KV short distance stuff, or 35KV local stuff, is more than enough for that.

A little piece of history. Way back when Edison electrified Manhattan there was a large battery bank, Leyden jars at the time, down in, of all places, The Battery which is now Battery Park. Anyhow, there were six inch diameter solid copper conductors running up to midtown where the load was highest. The voltage drop was around 20 volts under full load. When I was in tech school, in the 60's, one of the instructors had worked there, in the Battery, for Edison Electric, and had the skin stains from the acid in those batteries.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually, DC is more efficient in terms of line losses and transmission line cost, and is used for the longest power transmission lines where the reduced line losses and costs outweigh the cost of the AC<->DC conversion equipment at each end. A DC transmission line uses 2 conductors compared to 3 for an AC line. There are no phase sync, inductance, or skin effect issues with DC transmission.
High-voltage direct current - Wikipedia
Pacific DC Intertie - Wikipedia
Difference Between AC & DC Transmission Line (with Comparison Chart) - Circuit Globe

Well, chit....I'm tapping out of this conversation if we are talking about efficiency of connecting @ctgoldwing IR illuminators 3,000 miles away from his camera system. :p

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
fwiw, i'm still a big fan of these bullet/cannon style illuminators: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
5-80 degrees adjustable, very even distribution for no hot-spotting as long as you can zoom the IR out beyond the the cam's fov...
I've recently received one of these. Looks like a great product.

US $68.0 |Video Surveillance 5 80 Degree Adjustable focus 12V Night Vision 850nm IR Infrared Illuminator Light lamp For CCTV Cameras|CCTV Accessories| | - AliExpress ,

How are people mounting these? there is no mounting bracket.

What size mounting screw to screw into the bottom?

Last edited:

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Found this. Hopefully it is the correct threads. Have not received it yet.

This thing sure runs warm. Set up on my bench and running for 30 mins it is very warm to the touch. Is this normal? It's drawing 11-12 watts poe from my switch.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like they are running a sale in a few days, $43.52 ea. The power may be right:
1584924407864.png
3 x 4.5 ~ what you are reading tho I have to say when I 1st read it I interpreted it as 3 leds, 4.5w total. 13.5w sounds right when you read down their ad where is says a 12v 2a supply is required. There will be some heat there :)

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of these to light up 2 cameras with 6mm lenses.
The angle lines up great. I used a 12 volt DC wall wart close to the install. Simple install.
No need to run another 100' cable, not worried about UPS power, as the cameras will work without the IR.
FYI, same price on Amazon and AliExpress.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks to tips from here, I am running my cam and Illuminator both off of POE and using my single installed cat5.

Powering with this:

And using this plugged into my poe switch, 2 adjacent ports:

And this in a jbox near the cam + Illuminator:

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Found this. Hopefully it is the correct threads. Have not received it yet.

Amazon.com: Panavise 845-246W Deluxe Micro Mount (Cream): Car Electronics

I've received this mount. It is really nice. Unfortunately, the 1/4"-20 thread does not screw into this Illuminator.

Does anyone know what size thread the Illuminator has? I presume it is some metric size, I assumed that 1/4"-20 was standard, but apparently not.

Does anyone have a favorite similar mount?

TIA

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Amazon.com: Panavise 845-246W Deluxe Micro Mount (Cream): Car Electronics

I've received this mount. It is really nice. Unfortunately, the 1/4"-20 thread does not screw into this Illuminator.

Does anyone know what size thread the Illuminator has? I presume it is some metric size, I assumed that 1/4"-20 was standard, but apparently not.

Does anyone have a favorite similar mount?

TIA
If you have a large hardware store nearby or HD or Lowes, they probably have an assortment of metric size threads. Bring the illuminator in and see if they can match it. You might even find the thread size in an auto supply shop - a lot of hardware on cars is metric now. I would have guessed 1/4 X 20 also :(

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wish it was 1/4-20. This looks like the same unit, although a different box. It seems to indicate 6mm, .236” or so. There is a 6mm 1.0 pitch size. I’ll see if I can find one of these to test with. Not sure if it is worth violating lockdown for.

This thing looks like it has a 6mm screw, but is 6 weeks out.
uxcell CCTV Camera Mount - Adjustable Indoor/Outdoor Camera Mounting Brackets 90mm Height Iron Silver Tone for Camera Home Surveillance System Amazon.com : uxcell CCTV Camera Mount - Adjustable Indoor/Outdoor Camera Mounting Brackets 90mm Height Iron Silver Tone for Camera Home Surveillance System : Electronics

I could probably force it, but prefer not too. I’m surprised this hasn’t come up on any of the discussions I can find about these and similar illuminators. How have others mounted these?

The Ali stellar has these, but 7 weeks out, unsure how much shipping will be. This also does not list the spec. I think it would work for me.