If a (Dahua) cam SD card or NVR gets stolen, how secure is the footage?

Reaction score
I don't know what someone who stole your footage would find on the cards (video, audio), but if you have them on motion activated, he will find your family on them frequently. I don't know if you don't mind that. I would.
To each their own. But are you not being a little over the top here? Just what would the perp DO with that footage? Unless it is indoor footage of family undressed, which I would think one would not have cams in positions that would capture that kind of footage.

Does your family post pics on social media? Are they out and about in public and in stores? If so, there are probably thousands of images of them on hundreds of servers around the world.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras are like the police in most instances. They are for after the fact, that's why they are called surveillance. They are not a security system.
A good properly installed monitored Security System is the first thing on the list of protecting your home and family.

One simple security tip, keep your yap shut, don't be talking to folks you don't know about your security setup or your plans for being away from home while in public.

The guy @samplenhold mentions above believes the people that stole from him was the Uber driver that took him to the airport, and they discussed the trip while in the back seat of the Uber. So the thieves knew how long the homeowner would be gone.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cameras are like the police in most instances. They are for after the fact, that's why they are called surveillance. They are not a security system.
A good properly installed monitored Security System is the first thing on the list of protecting your home and family.

One simple security tip, keep your yap shut, don't be talking to folks you don't know about your security setup or your plans for being away from home while in public.

The guy @samplenhold mentions above believes the people that stole from him was the Uber driver that took him to the airport, and they discussed the trip while in the back seat of the Uber. So the thieves knew how long the homeowner would be gone.
Totally agreed - great points - I do think that a camera surveillance system can also function as part of a security system. Many car dealerships etc etc use their surveillance systems to trigger their security system when there are unwanted visitors at night on the lots, etc. It is all about detecting and notifying and modern day surveillance systems can certainly work as a part of a very good security system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the plan I adopted after getting the answers above. Set them on 1-day auto delete. The only exception will be when we are on vacation. That does make sense and minimizes exposure.
I don't know what someone who stole your footage would find on the cards (video, audio), but if you have them on motion activated, he will find your family on them frequently. I don't know if you don't mind that. I would.
Your family is recorded essentially 24/7 as they walk the streets of your city, drive in a car, or go to any store. Your neighbors cams are likely recording them as well. That said the chances of a camera being stolen is likely a million to one. I think there was one post here where are camera was taken and it was one of those toy ptz cameras on a flimsy mount. It was stolen to prevent ID of a trouble maker who thought the recording was in the cam. Same with the NVR its a very rare occurrence and near impossible if you hide it. The thief would then need the to know how to mount the SD card in linux - another million to one shot. Finally the their would have to care about the contents of your video files - probably 100 million to 1.

You are doing yourself and your family a disservice by limiting recording to one day. Something critical could occur and not be noticed or relevant for a few weeks.

IF you are really that paranoid, there are solutions that allow for encryption. On the basic level you can encrypt any pc running a vms. The issue with that is on reboot you will need to enter the password (and if you set it to not require a password on reboot (using tpm) you allow anyone with the pc access to your files. There are many VMS that advertise encryption like dw ipvms. Synology nas also allows for encryption.

Finally you can put your NVR in a safe. IF they are spending 30 minuets busting your safe as your alarm is blaring and you are getting notifications, you and your family are pretty much fucked anyways.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I just want to understand what it takes to view a stolen card. I don't see data on it when I stuff it into a PC. The PC doesn't even accept the card, it wants to format.

So I would need some other software or another cam?
That is most likely going to depend on what format you were saving it in and what player you tried to play it back on. Whether windows sees it may also depend on how it was formatted and again what device you were using to mount it eg an external card reader might see items an internal card reader port might not. If not as others have said, Linux may be used.

It would take a pretty determined thief to take a screwdriver to all your cameras to remove the sd cards after stealing your nvr. Most simply wouldn't want to be around that long. It's a couple of minutes per camera even if they were accessible and externally that also puts them in view of neighbours and passers by. If inaccessible, it's lots of time on ladders.

The average thief is either that thick they get recorded or they see the cameras and go elsewhere. Very few actively seek to disable cameras systems. This isn't a diamond heist at the average household but some broke druggie looking for cash in a drawer or some jewellery to sell for the next fix.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It isn't. Unless it's securely overwritten it's recoverable. When a file is deleted, it's simple given a marker to say it's deleted so the system skips over it. It's physically there until erased by another recording and even then forensic methods can recover it. The only way to purge a flash drive is with the flash purge facility which literally turns the memory off and resets it's state. The only way to purge a hard drive is with a secure overwrite using a tried and tested security erase (overwrite) formula.

CQR-View

n3wb
Reaction score
My NVR is in the crawlspace where any intruders hopefully won't be looking.
This is my Usual Recommendation to Clients when quoting ..................... "How often do you see an "Undesirable" with a ladder?"
[FYI - Undesirables: Non-Offensive Term for, Pond Scum, Tip Rat theiving Bastards]

To further add:
I wouldn't expect, said undesirables to be canvasing the neighbourhood CCTV Cameras to open the SD Card Compartments looking for cards. You would have to assume they would take the Camera ................ Correct?
So assuming the undesirable had some interlect or possibly their dealer has some & manage to Reset/Default the Camera to Factory, this would not erase the Data Stored on the SD Card.
There would be nothing to prevent them from accessing the Camera GUI via Web Browser & playing the Recordings.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect, said undesirables to be canvasing the neighbourhood CCTV Cameras to open the SD Card Compartments looking for cards.
Just as a footnote: You all think in just one category of intruder, which is understandable. But there are other categories. If you want an example, think press. They would not care for your cam but the SDcard. And there are several others.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just as a footnote: You all think in just one category of intruder, which is understandable. But there are other categories. If you want an example, think press. They would not care for your cam but the SDcard. And there are several others.
Are you someone famous the press wants to get exclusive video of LOL.

Again, as others have said, if you have other mechanisms in place and the cameras are positioned in such ways that it would be obvious they are taking the card, the risk is minimal.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the security of the footage is most valuable to you then you should not use SD cards in your cameras where they can be 'easily' taken or you need to deploy security measures to protect your cameras & SD cards. But again, if the footage was that sensitive (and if I knew that the footage itself was a target) I would forego the onboard storage altogether

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the security of the footage is most valuable to you then you should not use SD cards in your cameras where they can be 'easily' taken or you need to deploy security measures to protect your cameras & SD cards. But again, if the footage was that sensitive (and if I knew that the footage itself was a target) I would forego the onboard storage altogether
Well, at least you would want to make it more or less worthless to the thief but still usable for yourself.

After I had learned that there is no serious protection involved, I adapted my plans.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, at least you would want to make it more or less worthless to the thief but still usable for yourself.

After I had learned that there is no serious protection involved, I adapted my plans.
What did you do to adapt your plans?

CQR-View

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting point: How many of the "away from home" services can you use if you isolate your cams from the net?

If nobody is home, what will you do if someone steals your camera? Accoustic alarm? Automated police notification?
Not so long ago [few years back] a CCTV System was just that & an Alarm System was just that too ...................[apples/oranges]
Both were Specific Duty Security Devices.
What many failed to understand is Neither Option provided the same level of Security that could be achieved by Installing Both. But in a domestic market governed by cost, often a consumer would choose one over the other. Adding to complication & expense included Monitoring & Remote Access.

Skip forward to Now ...................................... Security Devices speak the same language & Integration is a Standard Feature, but generally speaking most consumers still retain the Apples & Oranges perspective.

In regard to your "If nobody is home ..." question above, a modern Security System Design in its capacity is a Fully Integrated System, that provides for Stand-Alone Options [eg. CCTV, Alarm, Video Intercom, Access Control]
Note: I am not refering to the Cheapshit, Off-the-Shelf, IOT, Landfill Crap sold by department/hardware stores or whoever else does either ["I'll have a Big Mac please" ................. "would you like a CCTV Camera with that?"]

The thing is, even in the most basic stand-alone option capabilities, Modern Security Systems are far more than to Record a Day-in-the-Life-of machine or Noise Generator for the neighbours to be pissed at &/or recieve a $500 a year Phone Call to tell you about it, these things are nothing more than a distant memory and Leaping forward in the direction of Identification & Early Detection, Prevention, Deterrance Capabilities, including Instant Notifications to the System Owner who can Real-time Interact & Fully Control the system from practicallly anywhere, without added expenses attributed to out-sourcing status monitoring .................. furthermore, they do this job f*#king well.

In the event "someone steals your camera" ............ my advice is, take the time to think about what you want this "Security System" to do for you, do some reasearch & learn about capabilities, features [& limitations] & then research some more, don't by shit you will send to the landfill facility in 12 months. But the best option would be to seek advice from Licenced/Qualified Security Professionals, you WILL NOT find one of these in the Department Store Garden Section earning $12/hr to Consult you on Security Matters regarding YOUR Property or Persons & likewise I personally have not sold a client a bag of fertiliser.

It goes without saying the RIGHT ADVICE is quality advice. From my experience a Stolen Camera is a Crime of Opportunity, often attributed to factors such as Compromise & Poor/Inadequate Placement. In Simplicity ....... Remove the Opportunity!
The RIGHT ADVICE can only be obtained, if the Intended Function/Purpose is known, Product Knowledge & Experience, and Assessing the Environment/Physical Location. Any quality Security Consultant will factor reducing theft risk & will detail how/what features apply in awareness/prevention etc. its an integral part of their job/role to ensure the system efficient, effective & suitable for your needs.................................. unfortunately cowboys don't wear big hats these days so it harder to filter these guys out from the Quality Professionals.

Apologies for the rant, i had intended to keep this short ........................... but i'm sure someone somewhere will find value

CQR-View

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually that is a Valuable Point, often do not think along those lines .......................
Another that now comes to mind, Insurance Fraud. Seen & heard some out there stories of catching people out Claiming Insurance for Bogus Injury Claims, just might be their own Camera Footage causing their demise. [hard to distinguish which is the "undesirable" party in this]

hmm, this could be a trend
Catagory: "Undesirables"
Sub Catagory: "Profession Appointed Undesirables"

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What did you do to adapt your plans?
Don't take this personal, but I decided to honor this advice as much as I can:

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't take this personal, but I decided to honor this advice as much as I can:
Ahh rats, you've foiled my plans to swing by and steal all of your SD cards next time I'm in Europe ! :) To each their own