iDMSS on cell phone works fine with VPN - doesn't connect on wifi?

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I'm away and want to check on my cameras. I have all Dahua cameras and an NVR-5216-4kSE from Andy. My VPN is setup through my Raspberry Pi and as far as I can tell has been working fine. So here's my issue.

When I use my cell phone plan (verizon wireless) and connect with OPENVPN I can run iDMSS and bring up my cameras without any issue.

When I use the wifi on my cell phone at my location (Xfinity) and connect with OPENVPN I get a failure to see the cameras. When I am on wifi using the vpn I check my ip address and it does show that I am connected to my house. I have also tried to setup my cell phone as a DMZ host at my current location (not my house) and it has not helped so I'm not sure why I can't connect to the cameras when I'm on wifi and using my VPN.

I have also installed openvpn on my Notebook (that I'm using to type this) and when I use OPENVPN on Windows 7 and connect to my VPN I have no issue using SmartPSS to view the cameras.

I'm going to be going away to another location where I will only have wifi and will not have cell phone service (nor my notebook) so I really would like to get this fixed prior to leaving this location. If anyone has any ideas and/or advice I would certainly welcome it with open arms. Like usual, thank you in advance for the anticipated help.

I can use REALVNC to access my desktop if necessary at my house to make any adjustments to my router etc. if necessary.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are referring to using someone else's Wifi, (not yours) then they may have it setup to block lots of ports.

Try using port 443 instead of the default.
This would be changed in your VPN settings on your pi and in your mobile app.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @looney2ns - I am at my father-in-laws house and set his network up for him so he is not blocking any particular ports. His ISP (Xfinity in Southern Florida) might be blocking them without his knowledge. I have no problem using public hotspots to connect to my NVR using iDMSS and my VPN on my Raspberry Pi.

I also find it strange that on my notebook (laptop) I can use OPENVPN and and use SmartPSS without any problem at all. I'm not sure if SmartPSS and iDMSS use the same ports to connect to my NVR or not.

While I certainly appreciate the suggestion, for now I'm not looking to reconfigure anything right now as I am away and have no way to unplug/reset anything if I run into issues. I just find it strange that my notebook has no problem connecting but my iPhone does.