Idle PC

Badriver

n3wb
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Noob question below

Hey guys,
My current setup consist in 3 Poe cameras recording directly on sd card, where I can see live streams over app and HA on a RBP3+.
I'm considering installing BI on a dedicated PC so that I have more flexibility. Triggers to HA, backup the recordings on PC instead of SD card (that can be stolen as they are on the cameras), etc.
So the question is rather simple. I'm reticent in having a PC working 24/7 basically because of power consumption.
Is it possible to have the PC on idle or hibernating until cameras dettect something and need to record? Or is this not possible at all or have any performance issue?

PS: Of course, that one of the main issues is that my RBP3+ cannot handle the streams on HA and basically I don't have any automation based on the streams.
Thanks in advance
BR

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will want/need the PC to run continuously.
For 3 cameras, running Blue Iris on a 'lower-end' machine should not be a power hog.
I use an older Lenovo i5 (similar to this one: Amazon.com: 2018 Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Small Form Business High Performance Desktop Computer PC (Intel Core I5-4570 3.2G,8G RAM DDR3,500GB HDD,DVD-ROM,WIFI, Windows 10 Professional)(Renewed): Computers & Accessories) with a SSD boot drive and a spinning drive for video storage, with 9 POE cameras and the cameras draw more power than the PC.
I suspect that it would be similar with your setup of 3 cameras.
There are many threads here on setting up a power conservative system.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.