I'd like alerts if someone walks down my driveway - How?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm open all suggestions

If someone walks up to my gate, I'd like a notification. Think I can do this with cameras, or is there another device that could work?

1613596569252.png

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you use Blue Iris? You can send push notifications, SMS, email, etc for alerts. Use multiple zones for less fale alerts. That is, if you use a cam.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 on Bi's motion detection. and if you need more than just 'any motion' set up zone crossing alerts...

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I use Frigate in conjunction with HA: blakeblackshear/frigate

HA sends notifications to my phone via Pushover. I only use BI now for dumb 24x7 recordings. Frigate has taken over all AI for me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But if your camera has AI it will probably be better than motion detection from BI as that looks like a location that could suffer from problematic shadows from time to time or maybe headlights. If the camera has AI for human, then pull the ONVIF trigger for that camera into BI - even better - set up a clone of that camera in BI only pulling triggers and with its own global schedule override profile to get alerts just during the hours you want it. That way you can keep motion detection from BI if you want to get triggers other than humans.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps I need to buy a new camera all together and mount it right over the gate, seems like it could be a better idea