I Thought This Locomotive Fire Was Interesting

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As others have said in the YouTube comments, the person filming this did a great job and provided an excellent presentation. Clear and well centered video with good editing composition, and no yap, yap yapping in commentary. It's just the facts Ma'am.

I don't quite get rail fanning even though I'm a bit of a fan myself. I enjoy riding trains and watching them embark and disembark at times, but I'm more interested in the modern hobo life and train hopping. It was a sad day in 2017 when Stobe the Hobo died, and I'm sorry to see the struggles caused by aging and previous alcohol abuse in Hobo Shoestring. When he's gone much of his knowledge of rail hopping will die with him. There's a new breed of hobos, but they aren't the same as the older generation. Some of the new breed are called dirty kids. They take pride in not bathing and they wear their underwear until it rots off their bodies.

What I don't quite get with modern rail fans such as the one that shot this video is how they can sit for hours waiting for a train just to take very routine shots. In this case the person got lucky and caught images of a fire and the response, but without the fire it would have been an unremarkable video like other videos on the guy's channel. I get that rail fan parents sometimes take their kids to the tracks to watch trains for the experience, but some adults that have been around trains for most of their lives get too excited when they see a train. These people are sometimes called foamers by railroad employees and possibly others because they appear to become so excited by the sight of a train that they could start foaming at the mouth.