I think I'm having a power Issue on my POE, how do I solve?

talisman2208

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey there guys! So I think I'm having a power issue, but I'm not sure. My cameras are barely functioning. Lots of issues.

So from my Router I have a POE Injector, 60W This guy right here. From there, I go into a POE splitter of sorts. This guy right here. From there, I have 3 cameras. The Sumba Illuminati, as well as 2x Duo 2's. Which are really four cameras when you think about it.

Question is - is 60W not enough power for all of them, and if not - what's the best way I can re-evaluate this power situation?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Try it by just plugging one device in at a time. If that works fine, plug the next device in. Repeat until everything starts acting up. Its possible one device could be causing an issue. If I read the specs correctly, the Sumba pulls 25 watts. The other two pull 12 watts each. What kind of ethernet cable are you running and what is the maximum length?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sunba recommends a 65W injector just for the Sunba...

But I have seen elsewhere where it says it needs 30W. The Reolinks each need 12W, so you are at 54W on a 60W POE, so you are too close. You need a more powerful POE+ Switch.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Sunba recommends a 65W injector just for the Sunba...

But I have seen elsewhere where it says it needs 30W. The Reolinks each need 12W, so you are at 54W on a 60W POE, so you are too close. You need a more powerful POE+ Switch.
I saw on the Advert page where it says it needs 25 watts, but then it call for a POE Injector and the next line calls for a POE+ injector. Not sure I trust the Amazon specs.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll chime in with that PoE splitter probably doesn't support PoE+. The load of the Sunba is too much and kills everything. You're trying to do too much on a single cable. You'd be better off pulling a cable for each camera and using a true, PoE+ or PoE++, switch. Buy once, cry once and don't need antacids when the "workaround" fails.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll chime in with that PoE splitter probably doesn't support PoE+. The load of the Sunba is too much and kills everything. You're trying to do too much on a single cable. You'd be better off pulling a cable for each camera and using a true, PoE+ or PoE++, switch. Buy once, cry once and don't need antacids when the "workaround" fails.
The splitter claims to support POE+ 30w max.

I think the issue might be that the 60w POE injector probably maxes out at around 40-45w so it’s running too close to the edge.

I had a Trendnet POE switch rated at I think 75w but when plugged in 6 5321-ze, a 5442t and a 5442-ze the overload light would come on. I think at the time I worked out that the cams would use a max of around 68w so thought things would be OK.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Advertised specs versus reality are two different universes. Don't forget to add in the power required by that splitter, itself. Nothing operates for free in terms of power. Overall, trying to run a PTZ plus two fixed cameras on one line is a plan for failure either out of the box or down the road.