I suspect other people are monitoring my Dahua device.

rapsodi1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any way I can find out how many people are watching my device?

Even if I change the password, it is as if there is someone in my business who is aware of what is going on.

Is there a way I can see how many people are watching my device to make sure of this?

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They are very open-ended questions. You did not state what device people are "watching" or give any information with regards to how your device is setup and how one would view said device.

If we assume a single IP camera which is connected to a NVR or VMS PC, then break it down.

Are the cameras isolated on their own network segment or do they share the network with other devices?
Is the only way to view camera footage via the NVR/VMS? Is a strong password requried for this? Who knows this password? Do you have seperate accounts for individual users or do you share passwords? When was the last time you audited your accounts? Could Ex-employees still have access?
Who has physical access to the NVR/VMS to view camera footage?
Can the NVR/VMS be accessed remotely? If so, how is this configured and who should have access?

AS far as telling if anyone is accessing various devices, all my Dahua cameras have a local log which will give you logon/logoff/configuration saving events etc.
I would assume that most NVR's would have the same. If running a VMS such as BlueIris then obviously you have the Windows Event viewer to see which account logged onto the device and then within BlueIris there are logs relating to opening the local console and remove viewing via the web service (details contained in this are good as they provide Ip address of connected machine, hostname of connected machine and username used to authenticate with BlueIris. - Of course, if you have just set everything up with Username/password which everyone uses then this is of limited value as you cannot tell who has logged on. But it would give you timestamps.

What makes you think someone is accessing your devices? Without trying to get too Hollywood, could someone be viewing a device of their own which has been left in your business?

rapsodi1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

it's like no matter how many times I change the password, someone learns the password somehow. I hear rumors that employees can monitor employees in other departments.

device dahua nvr5232-4ks2.

The thing I'm wondering is: Does DMSS or dahua provide a service that reports the number of people watching the device instantly?

For example, is there a dahua service that shares data such as the number of instant viewers when I enter the serial number of my device and its password?

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't comment on the NVR or DMSS as i dont own one (I use BlueIris) but I would deem any Remote Management software based in someone elses "cloud" unsecure. You need to reduce to number of ways that someone can access your devices in a methodical manner for troubleshooting at the very least. If you can manage without it for some time, disable DMSS. Check the logs on your devices in the first instance, this will at least give you evidence of a logon event with a timestamp that you can determine was you or anyone else.

Perhaps the NVR has a function that can send an email when certain events (such as logon) occur?

Rather than trying to jump to what it could be, rule things out logically. There are far too many variables for anyone to guess how this could be happening, from keylogging/shoulder surfing/state sponsored hacking (ok i jest on the last one).

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Good camera system security is all about good network security. First, cameras and NVRs should never be allowed to access the internet. That will stop people from "outside" your network from snooping. Second, your camera system should be placed a dedicated VLAN and only authorized employees should have access to that VLAN. This will stop unauthorized employees from being able to snoop on the cameras.

• You also want to turn off all the extra "services" that the cameras/NVRs tend to have - bonjour, UPnP, etc, etc,
  • You probably want to create a new custom user (new user name and password) and disable the Admin user. When you use the Admin user, someone only has to guess your password. If you use a custom user name, a person has to know the valid user name and password. Don't use regular names for your custom user names either - use a unique secret name.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there any way I can find out how many people are watching my device?

Even if I change the password, it is as if there is someone in my business who is aware of what is going on.

Is there a way I can see how many people are watching my device to make sure of this?
Yeah, you need to change your password again as I just logged in! Its not good you changing it from Password1 to Password2 to Password3 I keep guessing it ;)

But seriously like @sebastiantombs said check for keyloggers on the device you are changing the password from and also make sure the cameras are not connected to the Internet and like @The Automation Guy said, turn off those services!