I really hate eBay

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I haven't shopped on eBay for years, but decided maybe I wanted to run a blue Iris server or at least see what it's really about and if I didn't like it I could just use the desktop as I'm currently using my surface pro that doesn't have an Ethernet port......

I shop around for a while, miss a few good deals along the way, then find a Dell Optiplex 5040 with I-7 6700 processor, 8GB Ram and 256gb SSD drive that I can live with and pull the trigger. Okay, 8GB probably isn't going to cut it so I go to Dell specs and see what kind of ram it takes and where it maxes out.... Jump on Amazon and other 32 GB ram for it and grab a 8TB Seagate Skyhawk for video storage while I'm at it. Hard drive and RAM come in yesterday so I set that aside until computer arrives. Computer arrives today so first thing I do is go to install the ram and hard drive. Crap, there's only one hard drive Bay. My fault but it's no big deal I'll get a hard drive enclosure and run it from the USB 3.0. Crap, the ram has a huge heat sink on it and it's too tall to fit. Guess I'll return that. Let's get this baby set up....

I spend quite a bit of time going through, performing updates and what not, and just getting used to the computer. Seems a little more sluggish than I thought it would be... After hours of updating and setting things up I finally check the hardware specs.....I have a computer with an I-5 6500 ‍♂. eBay issued a return label no problem, and I sent a screenshot of the hardware specs next to the listing so I don't foresee and issues with the return, other than now I have to wipe the dang thing to defaults and get my stuff off, print a return label, pack it up and get it to the post office.

All in all not a huge ordeal, found another OPTIPLEX 5500 with I-7 and 16 GB of RAM, but a 1 TB hard drive and no SSD. Think I'll wait on buying the SSD until I get this one to make sure it is what it's supposed to be. Maybe by the end of next week I'll finally be able to start setting things up like I want ‍♂

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You're probably better off going with DIY build and opting for an ITX-build. May cost a couple of hundred dollars more, but at least hard drive prices are still at their lowest point.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look at the HP range of desktops, I have a 600 G2, I think and that has space for 2 3.5” hard drives and somewhere where a 2.5” SSD can be “stuffed”

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've already ordered a different Optiplex off Ebay. I wasn't sure about the enclosure as I've never ran one, so I was going to ask here first. This is probably more of "playing" than anything, as since I'll need long term unattended reliability for several months at a time after I get back to work, whenever that may be, I may stick with my NVR. I currently have one 8TB drive in it, and it supports 2x10TB, so I can always use the other drive there.

I thought about doing my own build, but I've read so much about no need, waste of money, etc, that I decided against it. Optiplex seems to be a popular choice, so that's what I went with. I've been out of the computer/electronics game for way too long. Windows 98 was still pretty popular back when I was really into computers!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're probably better off going with DIY build and opting for an ITX-build. May cost a couple of hundred dollars more, but at least hard drive prices are still at their lowest point.
You are never better off building yourself. Why toss a few hundred bux down the toilet?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've already ordered a different Optiplex off Ebay. I wasn't sure about the enclosure as I've never ran one, so I was going to ask here first. This is probably more of "playing" than anything, as since I'll need long term unattended reliability for several months at a time after I get back to work, whenever that may be, I may stick with my NVR. I currently have one 8TB drive in it, and it supports 2x10TB, so I can always use the other drive there.

I thought about doing my own build, but I've read so much about no need, waste of money, etc, that I decided against it. Optiplex seems to be a popular choice, so that's what I went with. I've been out of the computer/electronics game for way too long. Windows 98 was still pretty popular back when I was really into computers!
The elitedesk sff (not USDT) has room for 2x3.5 drives and an ssd.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
The elitedesk sff (not USDT) has room for 2x3.5 drives and an ssd.
I have one of these exactly as @fenderman says with two 3.5s and the SSD. I think I had to stickytape the SSD somewhere to make it all fit but it's been running two years just fine.

@Travis798 FWIW I have 11 cameras running, and the i5-6500 with 8 GB RAM works fine. Depending on your camera and processing needs, YMMV. I write direct to disc as recommended here, and BI has been super stable. I had more problems with a Hik NVR in six months before I idled it, than I've had with the Windows PC with BI in the two years since then.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of these exactly as @fenderman says with two 3.5s and the SSD. I think I had to stickytape the SSD somewhere to make it all fit but it's been running two years just fine.

@Travis798 FWIW I have 11 cameras running, and the i5-6500 with 8 GB RAM works fine. Depending on your camera and processing needs, YMMV. I write direct to disc as recommended here, and BI has been super stable. I had more problems with a Hik NVR in six months before I idled it, than I've had with the Windows PC with BI in the two years since then.
There should be a 2.5 bay under the 3.5 bay.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had good luck with eBay and got the PC in my signature for just under $350 and really like it. It came with an 256gb M.2 SSD for Windows 10. All I had to do was add a 2nd NIC(to isolate cameras) and a HDD to store video. It is all I need, a toned down version of an Elitedesk. I think that the only feature the Elitedesk has over the Prodesk is the ability to have two M.2 SSD's.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, you have a valid point there, :rofl: Learning that myself with the new Z490 build. Things didn't go as planned and and shelled out an additional $200 for a new ATX motherboard :lmao: My credit card flipped at me.

You are never better off building yourself. Why toss a few hundred bux down the toilet?

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The computer is on it's way back to the Ebay seller. I have another one coming, this time from a place a couple of hours away, so I guess if I had to I could just drive this one back. No ethernet on the computer really sucks. I have a usb c hub that has ethernet but it's not very dependable. The new computer still won't have room for an additional full hard drive, but apparently it has a M2 slot. I'm not familiar with those but I'm taking it to mean I can still add a SSD into the machine using that.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a PCIE slot available? Should be able to squeeze an additional NIC in there

The computer is on it's way back to the Ebay seller. I have another one coming, this time from a place a couple of hours away, so I guess if I had to I could just drive this one back. No ethernet on the computer really sucks. I have a usb c hub that has ethernet but it's not very dependable. The new computer still won't have room for an additional full hard drive, but apparently it has a M2 slot. I'm not familiar with those but I'm taking it to mean I can still add a SSD into the machine using that.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Link to model you bought second time around?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have a PCIE slot available? Should be able to squeeze an additional NIC in there
Yes, it has a PCIE slot available. I'm holding off on a second NIC for now until I play with the machine a bit and decide what and how I want to do things.

Link to model you bought second time around?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
It's a Dell Optiplex 5050 Small Form Factor. I'm too ashamed at what I paid out of frustration almost immediately after requesting a return for the old one to link to the actual listing. LOL

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Never head of a desktop style computer not having a network port, could you post the model that you’ve purchased?

Travis798

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It does have a NIC. Arjun was talking about adding a second NIC to the machine.

Edit

If you mean the machine I'm currently using, it's not a desktop. I have a Surface Pro and a Lenovo Thinkpad that is extremely similar to a surface pro. I'm using them with an external monitor along with a mouse and keyboard, but an actual desktop would be so much better while at home.