I need to secure construction site. Is my idea reasonable?

nl635

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to secure 3 construction sites placed approximately 100-150 meters apart. Only one of them has an internet connection, and there is direct visibility between them.

My goal is to have 2-3 cameras on each site. Each camera should have at least a week's worth of recording, and I want to be able to view them live. Additionally, it would be great if I could receive mobile notifications if a person is spotted in any of the cameras.

My idea is as follows:

1. House number 1 (with internet connection): I will install a simple router, POE switch and 2-3 pieces of Dahua 2241 cameras with 128GB SD cards. I will also use a Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 Loco to establish a bridge connection with the other 2 sites.
  2. On both of the other houses, I will place a POE switch to power the Ubiquiti bridge and cameras, along with 2-3 pieces of Dahua 2241 cameras with 128GB SD cards.
This way, video footage will be recorded locally on the SD cards, and the Ubiquiti bridge will be used solely for live viewing from DMSS.

Since I have never done something like this before, I would like to ask if this setup is reasonable before investing 2 full days into installing the hardware. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds good your temporary cameras/bridge proposal. I will also concern about security. Where you plan to install the cameras? How safe is the construction site to include all the electronics? Will it be mounted on a single point, maybe in a pole covering about 270’ angle or to be distributed at different locations within the construction site? If the property is isolated, how about installing a loud siren if someone approach the area (specially near the cameras)?

nl635

n3wb
Reaction score
Cameras will be mounted on the second floor, which is already built, at a height of 3-4 meters, aiming towards the land and the surrounding area. The electronics will be placed in the basement, which requires a long ladder to access, and will be stored in an IP66 plastic box.

I can reach the location within 5 minutes. One of the owners lives just around the corner. Although there is nothing valuable, the area is a bit out of sight, and we have experienced incidents of random neighbors taking our gravel with wheelbarrows, gypsies taking anything made of iron, someone stealing 3 pieces of concrete curbs, etc.

It's more about that with cameras, I will be able to catch them red-handed... and you know... help them to understand that they shouldn't be stealing things right on the spot :)