I need to monitor one IP camera on one large (20-24") screen

owenmpk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a golf ProShop that would like me to place a camera that has view of the first hole. This will have to be an IP cam because it is about 500' from the ProShop an will be connecting via NanoBeams. They do not want to record just view. So i need some type to web enabled TV or monitor does anyone know if such a device exists is there a better / cheaper way to get this setup.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a golf ProShop that would like me to place a camera that has view of the first hole. This will have to be an IP cam because it is about 500' from the ProShop an will be connecting via NanoBeams. They do not want to record just view. So i need some type to web enabled TV or monitor does anyone know if such a device exists is there a better / cheaper way to get this setup.

Go to this post and read how I use Amazon fire stick to monitor the camera from my TV, this might work for you. I only use the fire stick to monitor the cameras.

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1871-Not-exactly-a-NVR-or-computer-but-it-cool

Bill

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah a fire TV stick is not a bad idea. Forces you to use wifi but that is probably fine for one camera.

Nanobeams are very much overkill for 500 feet. Nanostation Locos would be better, and even then you should reduce the output power perhaps all the way to minimum on both ends. You really don't need any better signal than -50 or so on the UBNT radios (e.g. -35 is a much stronger signal). Remember stronger signals pose a risk of damaging the receiver and they cause unnecessary interference for everyone else nearby trying to use the same frequency.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah a fire TV stick is not a bad idea. Forces you to use wifi but that is probably fine for one camera.

Nanobeams are very much overkill for 500 feet. Nanostation Locos would be better, and even then you should reduce the output power perhaps all the way to minimum on both ends. You really don't need any better signal than -50 or so on the UBNT radios (e.g. -35 is a much stronger signal). Remember stronger signals pose a risk of damaging the receiver and they cause unnecessary interference for everyone else nearby trying to use the same frequency.

I have three camera running on the fire stick at 15 fps and not skipping a beat.

BIll

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it actually decode all 3 (h264?) at the same time? I briefly used IP cam viewer on Android before I got Blue Iris and it would only update one camera at a time so if you had multiple cameras it would take several seconds to go around the loop and update each one's image.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Does it actually decode all 3 (h264?) at the same time? I briefly used IP cam viewer on Android before I got Blue Iris and it would only update one camera at a time so if you had multiple cameras it would take several seconds to go around the loop and update each one's image.
I wouldn't know if it doing it all at the same time or not. Even if it decoding one at a time then it must doing it less than a second for me because I am not noticing any delay in the activities between the cameras and android apps.

Perhaps the apps is using the hardware decoder in the fire stick to decode the H264 since i don't see drop in performance using it.

Bill

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use an Android stick for this, works fine running Android camera viewing apps. About the same price as the Fire stick, but more pure Android. I believe with the Fire TV products, you are limited to shopping in the Amazon app store which is limiting.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I use an Android stick for this, works fine running Android camera viewing apps. About the same price as the Fire stick, but more pure Android. I believe with the Fire TV products, you are limited to shopping in the Amazon app store which is limiting.
I believe you are correct that you can only purchase apps from Amazon apps store not from Google play store however two well known apps for ip camera are available on amazon apps store which are the IP Viewer and tinyCam Pro.

I use tinyCam Pro because I like how it flash red border around the screen it detected motion in. I am a Deaf man and the red flashing does grab my attention from my computer monitor to the TV screen. And yes it can be disabled.

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't know if it doing it all at the same time or not. Even if it decoding one at a time then it must doing it less than a second for me because I am not noticing any delay in the activities between the cameras and android apps.

Perhaps the apps is using the hardware decoder in the fire stick to decode the H264 since i don't see drop in performance using it.

Bill
Tonight I tested the apps by pressing my van keyless remote which will cause the van to flash its' parking lights.

Even with some of the cameras are not fully in van view but I could see the parking light flashing on all of the camera at night at the same time in the multi-cam view mode.

So it either streaming one camera at a time really fast that it not noticeable for me or streaming all of the cameras at the same time. It flashed within a second when I pressed the button on the remote in the viewer.

Bill

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That does sound promising! I wonder how many cams a fire tv stick can handle then. I would not have expected a hardware-based h264 decoder to handle more than one stream at a time. Software-based decoding would be rather slow and not likely to work well even for one stream on that stick.