I need the Bud Light of cameras

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Your replies to this thread stand in stark contrast to the useful and friendly replies given by everyone else. I'm not sure why you felt the need to belittle rather than help, but I hope you work it out.
Sorry Bud, your next Bud Light is on me. :rofl:

I was just trying to make a point in a smart ass way. I posted a disclaimer in small print ;)

If you read around here long enough you will see from video captures that most of the very experienced guys here end up liking the vert best quality security camera capture. That means a high quality color camera mounted at a placement as close to "head level" of your subject as possible to get accurate face shots.

A camera is not going to stop a thief. But a good face shot might mean a conviction.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly right. I went the NVR route with the Reolinks, and have come to conclusion that they aren't the right choice for NOW. That said, they DO actually do everything I need them to, even from the eaves 3 stories up! The problem is reliability and quirkiness of the client app. PLUS, I'm now more willing to put in the time it'll take me to learn more and tune Blue Iris. My NOW choice is different than it was 2 years ago.

I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. I bought one each of the suggestions above, and will play with them "in the lab" and learn more before purchasing the balance of what I need. I'll be going through the reviews @sebastiantombs posted, as well. Thanks, and here's what I ordered:

Hi @PapiMike

"The problem is reliability and quirkiness of the client app "

In general the cloud camera monthly subscription businesses have quite a bit of money allocated to the software dev teams who are working on the mobile client apps, however there are numerous issues with cloud dependent cameras ..

imho there is no single perfect solution for people .. for me I like a core on-premise quality system to get good video, augmented with a couple of cloud dependent cameras covering the front approach.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PapiMike

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry Bud, your next Bud Light is on me. :rofl:

I was just trying to make a point in a smart ass way. I posted a disclaimer in small print ;)

My bad, then. I'm not famous for reading small print, LOL! And I do get down to Palm Desert once in a while, so you may have to pay up!

For the most part, we don't feel the need for cameras at our vacation rentals. This one is an exception because it's in a residential neighborhood a block off the beach, and seems to attract the under 25 crowd We do pretty well at weeding them out, but sometimes they slip through. That's where the cameras come in, so we can check up. If any of the properties get broken into, the thieves will get some really nice kitchen appliances and some TVs, but that's about all.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
My bad, then. I'm not famous for reading small print, LOL! And I do get down to Palm Desert once in a while, so you may have to pay up!

For the most part, we don't feel the need for cameras at our vacation rentals. This one is an exception because it's in a residential neighborhood a block off the beach, and seems to attract the under 25 crowd We do pretty well at weeding them out, but sometimes they slip through. That's where the cameras come in, so we can check up. If any of the properties get broken into, the thieves will get some really nice kitchen appliances and some TVs, but that's about all.
Stick around here and read up especially the Wiki IP Cam Talk Wiki, especially the Cliff Notes. You will learn what the very best state of the art consumer available systems are. Put your cameras at eye level in strategic locations. And most importantly take my smartass comments with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

also, as you are so close to the beach, do pay attention to corrosion issues ...

PapiMike

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I have noticed that my RJ-45 connectors corrode a bit, even with the barrel-type covers. I put waterproof boxes on a couple of them, and they're faring much better.