I need a transformer box

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a pretty good idea, IMO, but...
Depending on local regulations, one has to be careful about installing anything in the public right-of-way which is generally reserved for utility services (electricity, water, gas, cable, telephone, etc.) who have a installation and maintenance easement. The ROW can vary but should appear on local GIS maps.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I need to come up with some sort of bed to put around my mailbox, and then something to put into the bed that I could hide some cameras in.

It's too bad we don't have these PVC mailbox posts, because I would be all over these.

1683289800095.jpeg 1683289865945.png

1683290036815.png 1683289898925.png

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
What about these ? ==>> 5 in. x 5 in. x 8 ft. White Vinyl Fence Post
They've got smaller widths, colors, matching caps, etc.

View attachment 161931
Would need to be HOA approved, unfortunately. I could probably get away with something a little lower profile without permission, but that might be pushing it.

I could possibly add a post like that with a couple cams inside, but use it to hand a plant or something off of, but that would require me maintaining the plant and might look a little off.

I need to add a proper light for my flag, maybe I will look into landscaping lights and the possibility of something like witt posted above.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would need to be HOA approved, unfortunately. I could probably get away with something a little lower profile without permission, but that might be pushing it.
VERY true.
I could possibly add a post like that with a couple cams inside, but use it to hand a plant or something off of, but that would require me maintaining the plant and might look a little off.
Plastic plants require only occasional dusting off or replacement when the UV makes them fade...just a thought! :idk:

I need to add a proper light for my flag, maybe I will look into landscaping lights and the possibility of something like witt posted above.
There's also a thread also with big, artificial rocks somewhere on IPCT but I can't find it. I'll keep looking, though.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
VERY true.

Plastic plants require only occasional dusting off or replacement when the UV makes them fade...just a thought! :idk:

There's also a thread also with big, artificial rocks somewhere on IPCT but I can't find it. I'll keep looking, though.
I had not considered plastic plants, maybe that could be an option.

I was also just looking at plastic rocks as well. I have been in the house for almost 7 years now and my mailbox post already needs replaced. Unfortunately we need to use a specific post from a specific company. I might try to see if I can start the trend of replacing with PVC posts, but if not I might consider replacing it and then placing a fake rock around the bottom of it to help protect it when I mow and trim...

Reaction score
Where would I get an empty transformer box, I wonder.
Apologies if you were just joking (given the video) :)

This might not be helpful in your location, but you might check a sand blasting business. I used to solicit a sand blasting and powder
coating business that had a contract with the regional electrical utility to refurbish (sand blast and powder coat) transformer boxes.
They had dozens of the boxes queued for refurbishment. And if there was a broken weld or some damage they discovered after sand
blasting, they would just set those aside for scrap. And, while not specifically transformer boxes, they also always seemed to have
a fair number of oddball outdoor enclosures lying around (for weather proofing or vandalism protection).

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had not considered plastic plants, maybe that could be an option.

I was also just looking at plastic rocks as well. I have been in the house for almost 7 years now and my mailbox post already needs replaced. Unfortunately we need to use a specific post from a specific company. I might try to see if I can start the trend of replacing with PVC posts, but if not I might consider replacing it and then placing a fake rock around the bottom of it to help protect it when I mow and trim...
There are mailbox post protectors that can be attached. I had to put one on mine due to some idiot (me) kept hitting the post (metal) with the trimming line.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

This might not be helpful in your location, but you might check a sand blasting business. I used to solicit a sand blasting and powder
coating business that had a contract with the regional electrical utility to refurbish (sand blast and powder coat) transformer boxes.
They had dozens of the boxes queued for refurbishment. And if there was a broken weld or some damage they discovered after sand
blasting, they would just set those aside for scrap. And, while not specifically transformer boxes, they also always seemed to have
a fair number of oddball outdoor enclosures lying around (for weather proofing or vandalism protection).
It was a tongue in cheek comment. This setup would be ideal in a lot of locations but doesn't work for me, sadly.

Thanks for the tip, though!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Probably similar to these from Tesco out of Sacramento, CA.....I bought probably a hundred of 'em. VERY good service pedestals, but NOT inexpensive.

tesco-low-profile.jpg

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
@dmcIPCAM

I am planning on doing this this a couple of these. Build something decorative into the column (maybe illuminated house numbers?) and put one camera facing each way with the lens disguised as a screw. Run face detection 24/7 and get everyone who walks by.

Reaction score
@dmcIPCAM

I am planning on doing this this a couple of these. Build something decorative into the column (maybe illuminated house numbers?) and put one camera facing each way with the lens disguised as a screw. Run face detection 24/7 and get everyone who walks by.

What you REALLY need on that column is

Camera, keypad, card reader, door lock, intercoms, can act like a poe monitor for any camera... :)

Actually, seriously, the VTO and VTH's are just sitting in the closet... if anyone wants them they can have them.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
What you REALLY need on that column is

Camera, keypad, card reader, door lock, intercoms, can act like a poe monitor for any camera... :)

Actually, seriously, the VTO and VTH's are just sitting in the closet... if anyone wants them they can have them.
The VTO is up as it's an easier solution than putting together a project like that. Lol

I do like my projects but all those individual pieces would be more expensive than the VTO2211G-WP I have. Great video @ 2MP and a very sensitive mic.

The 8441s have the advantage of the processor unit being separate. Going to need to see if I can use longer cables as the 26' may be a bit short of where I want the processor units to be.