I like this PTZ.. HikVision - DS-2DF8C260I5XG-ELW 1/1.2" progressive scan CMOS @ 2mp.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ditto what these guys said!
@bigredfish - "It should be a light sucking MONSTER!"
@wittaj - "Go with the 2MP and the larger focal length - winner every time"

I presume that 2MP uses up the entire1/1.2" sensor (not a sub-section!) that has the latest technology combined with "Max Aperture of F/1.6" ... so pretty darn decent.

Too bad for us mere mortals that it's a "big boy" camera ... with a "big boy" price ... although I can certainly understand how that is what you want for certain applications.

I'd love to see that sensor in a 4X (instead of 60X) camera ... which might allow you to do a F/1.0 lens.
Remove the PTZ ... which should allow it to be priced at less than a 1/5 of the cost ... which would sell like hotcakes.

Thanks @tech101 for spending the big bucks to give us a report ... ;-)
And I'm jealous of your large sensor camera's!

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Ditto what these guys said!
@bigredfish - "It should be a light sucking MONSTER!"
@wittaj - "Go with the 2MP and the larger focal length - winner every time"

I presume that 2MP uses up the entire1/1.2" sensor (not a sub-section!) that has the latest technology combined with "Max Aperture of F/1.6" ... so pretty darn decent.

Too bad for us mere mortals that it's a "big boy" camera ... with a "big boy" price ... although I can certainly understand how that is what you want for certain applications.

I'd love to see that sensor in a 4X (instead of 60X) camera ... which might allow you to do a F/1.0 lens.
Remove the PTZ ... which should allow it to be priced at less than a 1/5 of the cost ... which would sell like hotcakes.

Thanks @tech101 for spending the big bucks to give us a report ... ;-)
And I'm jealous of your large sensor camera's!
Is there a way we can find about say "2MP uses up the entire1/1.2" sensor (not a sub-section!) " ??

Update - I just asked Andy maybe he can find out this detail Will wait for his answer. I am hoping it is the entire sensor and not sub section because than 4mp will make sense right ?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
So exciting to read this thread felt almost like I'm the one buying the new camera! :lmao:

I can't wait to see some night videos of this camera as well.:)
I have to agree with you. This is indeed exciting. The manufactures have made a lot of progress since the 4/3" 8MP PTZ came out. The comparison will be quite interesting.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing I just noticed now .. On the lux Rating does the 1 1.2 Camera at 8mp looks better on paper ??

I am confused or Am I reading this lux rating wrong. ? Sorry do NOT understand lux ratings that well.

DS-2DF8C260I5XG-ELW

2MP HikVision - Min. Illumination Color: 0.002 Lux @ (F1.6, AGC ON), B/W: 0.0002 Lux @ (F1.6, AGC ON), 0 Lux with
Laser

V/S

SD8C845FG-HNF

Min. IlluminationColor: 0.0005 lux@F1.5
B/W: 0.0001 lux@F1.5
0 lux (Illuminator On)

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there a way we can find about say "2MP uses up the entire1/1.2" sensor (not a sub-section!) " ??

Update - I just asked Andy maybe he can find out this detail Will wait for his answer. I am hoping it is the entire sensor and not sub section because than 4mp will make sense right ?
The "easy" way is ask what the pixel size is ... since for the same SIZE sensor, the pixel size will decrease as the megapixels go up.
Bottom line is you want the entire 1/1.2" working for 'ya.

You mentioned earlier that "2mp 6.0 to 360 mm V/S 4mp 6.0 to 288 mm" ... which makes me wonder ... since if the physical design is the exactly the same (i.e. same overall size sensor, just more (smaller) pixels on the 4MP versus 2MP), why would the 4MP have less zoom? I.e. it's possible when the optical lens exceeds 288mm, the image circle no longer "covers" the entire 4MP 1/1.2" sensor ... but if the 2MP is a subset, it might (?)

If so, then the per pixel noise would be the same (same size pixels), but if you identically frame an object, but then downsample the 4MP->2MP (or upsample 2MP->4MP), the 4MP would look better since overall bigger sensor.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll just add a general comment about PTZ and resolution.... A lower resolution on a PTZ camera can many times be overcome by the zoom factor. What I am trying to say is that yes there are fewer pixels available, but having the ability to zoom in great distances help minimize this. Of course if you have a 2mp and a 4mp PTZ camera zoomed into the same scene, the 4mp will have more resolution, but normally you can zoom in far enough that 2mp has plenty of resolution on your subject. Obviously the lower resolution has the advantages of larger pixels which means better low light performance generally.

Therefore unless I knew I would be needing to capture items at extreme distances (ie zoomed in all the way), I would choose the lower resolution camera for most use cases because of it's superior low light performance.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll just add a general comment about PTZ and resolution.... A lower resolution on a PTZ camera can many times be overcome by the zoom factor. What I am trying to say is that yes there are fewer pixels available, but having the ability to zoom in great distances help minimize this. Of course if you have a 2mp and a 4mp PTZ camera zoomed into the same scene, the 4mp will have more resolution, but normally you can zoom in far enough that 2mp has plenty of resolution on your subject. Obviously the lower resolution has the advantages of larger pixels which means better low light performance generally.

Therefore unless I knew I would be needing to capture items at extreme distances (ie zoomed in all the way), I would choose the lower resolution camera for most use cases because of it's superior low light performance.
I agree, considering the PTZ feature with zoom capability. That's why I opted for the 2MP instead of the 4MP, and it also includes auto-tracking. Therefore, it should capture sufficient details even in daylight to identify most occurrences when accessed. Additionally, the 2MP camera is expected to deliver better performance in low-light conditions. Plus I have many other cams which will likely capture it in 4mp and 8mp.