I Forgot HOW! I could use some HELP exporting Clips for the Police

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I have been away for a long while; Out of the country, off of the forum and the BI system along with my mailbox cams have all been running unattended and seemingly working fine. I haven't had to do anything with them other than to check their status . A few days ago we had an event with package thieves at THREE of my adjacent neighbors' houses. I HAVE the whole scene on video, the car, the license plate, but not quiite face pics. Anyway, I'm back at home and since I seem to be the ONLY camera owner around here, it's on me to provide the clips to the Man. I would LOVE to. I have shown them the low-res on my TV and have provided ther perp's lic plate...but I need some help figuring out why I can't get the clips exported.

More detail in a moment.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The easiest way I've found is to use BI3 for exports. Bring up the clip in UI3. Right click in the image, then select export. You can drag the start and end times on the timeline as needed prior to running the export as well as select what format you'd prefer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the two box like icons at both ends of the video progress bar. One has a green dot on top the other red. Move the green to the start of where you want the video to begin then the red one to the end. Right click on video and select convert/export.

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm so way behind, here. BI hits me just like Photoshop if I haven't used it in months.
OK, UI3 is what... the HTML-based UI? I actually dont think I've ever used it, but teach me!

I select the clip I need either dragging the crop boxes OR using the context drop-down then right-click select convert/export... select the options in the dialog (see snip) with destination and name. Once I click OK, it greys out, nothing happens, the UI is locked up and there is no recovery except the three-finger salute/task manager/end task. (The service stays run ning) Note that the procedure worked on a clip from cam9, as it should and it sort of worked on cam4 once. I have dropped to trying two-second clips, no go.

As another approach I selected 'copy selected clip to clipboard' and that worked even for an hour-long file, but I still cant seem to get them to the safety of an MP4, even tiny clips.

BI Version is 5.4.7

Questions: what is the file type of the clipboard file? .BVR?
Pulling my old hair out over here. I just haven't used this in so long...

Another: In one clip saved in Clipboard (long continuous clip from cam4)) it appears that part of the clip is high-res and a portion is substream. How do I force all clips to be hi-res during review and export? All cams are set to save main and sub

More: I have about 17TB and store around twenty-three days with all cams on fulltime write.
MOST days on all the cams, a day produces six or more files, including cam4 on MOST days....but in the timeframe where I might really NEED separated files, cam4 has recorded two TWENTY-THREE hour files. Why does it do this?

Attachments

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BTW: The dirtbags hit houses on both sides and across the street because all three had fresh packages on their stoops. They looked mine over but seeing no boxes, passed me by. I seriously doubt my cams deterred them as they never seemed to notice the silly number of the silly things. Seven cams in plain view and they didn't seem aware.But ALL those cams were on the front of my house, 65' from them so none of them were useful unless the perps would have come onto my porch or driveway. HowEVER, the MAILBOX CAM was the real MVP.
Simply due to proximity, it captured the plate and a portion of a face. Without the mailbox cam, i would have pretty much nothing to help the police other than "Litte red car, at this time of day". I would strongly suggest everyone install a street-side camera. I still need another cam, actually facing the traffic from the mailbox area.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have noticed in recent BI updates that sometimes the export can take forever, even small ones.

I tested it once when I thought it locked and went and did something else and it finished it, so give it time.

If you have it set to continuous + triggered, then it will record substream until triggered, then go to mainstream, so that is probably what you are seeing.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nothing set to triggered. Set to mainstream always and use sub for monitoring.
At least it used to be.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, then there should be in the export box a check box to uncheck that says use substream if available (or vice versa)

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Apparently I'm expired... I wonder if that triggers this issue.
Anyway I need to re-up. You guys tell me... is there a real advantage to the 60 buck plan vs the cheaper?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the $30 plan. Works pretty well for support. Not super fast, but I usually get a response in a day or two at worst. As with everything YMMV. Overall, the $30 is cheap considering the non-stop improvements, like DeepStack AI. One thing I didn't like, and still don't, is the new method of setting up the main viewing screen but I'll get over it, eventually.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, usually it is set to use sub and I have un-checked. Is it likel;y that export is throttled/prevented with my expiration ?? I don't mind paying but I don't recall the tiered support thing. As I'm probably unlikely to pursue factory support, I'm unclear on which selection to buy.

Got it, buying now. Will be instructive if export starts working, eh

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
We need to send the Ipcamtalk Fake bad guys thru your neighborhood more often. then you'd stay in practice. Thats another $30 a month. we give some unemployed guys a google maps address of your neighborhood, and tell em for $30 bucks they just need to walk down that street and look into a couple cars.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do need some live target practice.....

But I need a LOT of BI time, sheesh!

Paying up DID apparently re-enable my export. Noted.

Now I styill need to improve this. Once I make the mp4s and then use the world's most basic (MS) viewer, I cant zoom it easily.

The exporting question becomes... can I ZOOM the BVR and capture the ZOOMED clip as a video? Like continuous video frame cropping?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do need some live target practice.....

But I need a LOT of BI time, sheesh!

Paying up DID apparently re-enable my export. Noted.

Now I styill need to improve this. Once I make the mp4s and then use the world's most basic (MS) viewer, I cant zoom it easily.

The exporting question becomes... can I ZOOM the BVR and capture the ZOOMED clip as a video? Like continuous video frame cropping?
You dont need to update/pay to export video. If you updated and it resolved an export issue it was likely a big in the version you had or the software needed a reboot if you didnt do it before. There are thousands of users still using BI4 here as well as many using BI5 whose support ran over a year ago.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don'
t disagree with the premise. I was able to export a couple of two-second clips. Now trying an 8 sec and.....waiting.

A separate question: In my BI New storage (two big drives) for reasons unknown,. SOME of the dates occur six or more times (a bunch of 2~3 hour files) but occassionally, on the same camera, no setting changes, some days are on a single huge file (150Gig).
WhY...how to prevent?

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since some of the files are so large, simply copying a file to another location is slow and wasteful. How can a file currently sitting in BI New be PROTECTED from overwrite without having to move it? Can it be 'remarked out" or renamed... or similar to make it armored against the FiFo process?

Because the exporting continued to hang, I went ahead and updated to 'last stable'. Now trying again to get these exports done.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Since some of the files are so large, simply copying a file to another location is slow and wasteful. How can a file currently sitting in BI New be PROTECTED from overwrite without having to move it? Can it be 'remarked out" or renamed... or similar to make it armored against the FiFo process?

Because the exporting continued to hang, I went ahead and updated to 'last stable'. Now trying again to get these exports done.
you can right click on the clip in the clip viewer and protect it. Better yet, copy the entire bvr file to your desktop.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don'
t disagree with the premise. I was able to export a couple of two-second clips. Now trying an 8 sec and.....waiting.

A separate question: In my BI New storage (two big drives) for reasons unknown,. SOME of the dates occur six or more times (a bunch of 2~3 hour files) but occassionally, on the same camera, no setting changes, some days are on a single huge file (150Gig).
WhY...how to prevent?
you need to really read the help file. See combine and cut. You dont want huge 150gb clips, that will cause problems. Limit them to 1-4gb