I cannot connect to a new Dahua camera

Reaction score
I have 3 new cams to install. 2 Hikvision, 1 Dahua starlight . I am "bench testing" them all by hooking them up to my garage positioned cat6 cam cable before I mount them in their final location. The Hikvision are working via this method, but I cannot get a signal from the Dahua. I have tried:

• Connecting directly to the IP address as shown on my router, creating a new password with the web plugin. Though it looks like I am connected to the camera, it results in a loading circle in the camera view that runs indefinitely
  • Finding the camera through the config tool on Dahua's website -it does not see any Dahua devices no matter the search criteria I enter
  • Adding the camera as a new camera in Blue Iris - Though BI sees the Dahua camera and the appropriate IP address, it never gets an image. I only see the color test bars indefinitely

Is there anything else I need to do to set these up first time?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us here do not use the config tool as we keep our cameras off the internet.

Some tips to get you started:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1643659199778.png

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it you are in the USA and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

Reaction score
I changed my computers IP address to 192.168.1.100, which was very hard to find on my Windows 10 machine, in fact I can't find it again....none of the documentation i found on line matches my options exactly
Attaching the camera and going to 192.168.1.108 via Internet Explorer yields an error to search bing. Which I assume is the issue we wanted to bypass by using Internet Explorer? I loaded it up in firefox and did not get a connection. The camera does not appear to be on at all while plugged into my PC, does it need to run over a poe swtich? I cannot get the IR Lights to turn on in darkness as I previously did when it was running through the switch and router. I only have one and it is running all the other cameras atm and I am hesitant to make any changes to that setup. despite my screen name, I am not smart enough to fix that if something goes wrong.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The camera needs power from somewhere. Either plug it and the PC into a PoE switch or power the camera with a wall wart and plug it into the PC. Without power it won't even turn on!

Reaction score
So the PoE swtich is not going to assign a different IP address correct? That happens at the router? I just tried a 12v power from best buy with no luck

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Again, without power the camera can't do anything. It needs power to do a hard reset or send video.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
How to Change IP Address in Windows 10 via Settings
  1. Open Settings. ...
  2. Click “Network & Internet” ...
  3. Click "Properties" under the “Ethernet” heading on the right
  4. Press “Edit” under the “IP assignment” heading. ...
  5. Change the "manual" settings accordingly -OR- return to Automatic (DHCP)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Click "Properties" under the “Ethernet IPv4” heading on the right

When doing a hard reset hold the reset button down for at least 20 seconds.

Reaction score
How to Change IP Address in Windows 10 via Settings
  1. Open Settings. ...
  2. Click “Network & Internet” ...
  3. Click "Properties" under the “Ethernet” heading on the right
  4. Press “Edit” under the “IP assignment” heading. ...
  5. Change the "manual" settings accordingly -OR- return to Automatic (DHCP)
That doesn't work on my machine, the page at step 3 must look completely different than what you are describing. The steps that work on my HP Omen are
Control Panel
Network and Internet
View Network Status and Tasks (that is the weird one)
(on the left) Change adapter settings
R-click Ethernet port

Freakin computers

Reaction score
In any case, I AM up and RUNNING! Thank you for the help
After completing this I went back and changed my cpu ethernet address to "Automatic" and my camera has a static IP. I am interested in getting a static IP on all of these, I will need to determine how to do this for my Hikvision as well. I am guessing it is similar, and also my reolink. Yeah I said it :)

ben_r_

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Going through a similar process right now. Im at the Dahua login page for an IPC-HFW4433F-ZSA camera after holding down the reset button (next to the MicroSD card slot) for over 20 seconds, but can't figure out the username and password. "admin" is already filled in for the username, and I have tried leaving the password blank, using "password" and "admin" but none of those worked. What is the default password?

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Typically, at first power-up, when accessing the cam via the web GUI, it asks some basic questions including prompting the user to set a password.

Verify you are following the correct steps to reset your model. Onc reset, some folks have better luck using the dahua config tool

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using Explorer - not Chrome with the IE tab or Edge, but plain ole Explorer baked into WIN10.

I have seen it go straight to the login in Edge, which obviously won't work as there is not a default password.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Going through a similar process right now. Im at the Dahua login page for an IPC-HFW4433F-ZSA camera after holding down the reset button (next to the MicroSD card slot) for over 20 seconds, but can't figure out the username and password. "admin" is already filled in for the username, and I have tried leaving the password blank, using "password" and "admin" but none of those worked. What is the default password?
Some browser sometimes have a nasty habit of remembering some session variables when you reboot a NVR or IPC.
The best thing to do is close the browser and open it up again just to refresh those things.
Some times a new tab will work, sometimes not.

ben_r_

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Typically, at first power-up, when accessing the cam via the web GUI, it asks some basic questions including prompting the user to set a password.

Verify you are following the correct steps to reset your model. Onc reset, some folks have better luck using the dahua config tool
Try some of the others listed on their wiki?
There are some weird ones
Are you using Explorer - not Chrome with the IE tab or Edge, but plain ole Explorer baked into WIN10.

I have seen it go straight to the login in Edge, which obviously won't work as there is not a default password.
Some browser sometimes have a nasty habit of remembering some session variables when you reboot a NVR or IPC.
The best thing to do is close the browser and open it up again just to refresh those things.
Some times a new tab will work, sometimes not.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I just tried powering up the camera again after a couple days and using a different browser (was using Firefox, switched to Edge) and the Device Initialization process came up asking for me to set the password. Looks to be working now.

Reaction score
Most of us here do not use the config tool as we keep our cameras off the internet.

Some tips to get you started:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1643659199778.png

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it you are in the USA and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

Thanks Wittaj! I followed your advice on changing the IPv4 to 192.168.1.100 and I was able to add my Dahua 5442 to BI. I have a dual NIC so I am using the second port to connect to my IPCampower POE switch. Not sure if I have the NIC configured correctly yet but at least I now have a camera added.

This is my first post as you can tell but I am a long time lurker. I have much to learn about Blue Iris and I appreciate the IPcamtalk community.