I am very New to LPR Camera and Cameras in general

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Note that the LPR camera shows a 50mm lens and the 5231 has a 64mm lens. Not certain the usable distance you'll get with the 50mm? Perhaps someone with more knowledge on lenses can help..

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Note that the LPR camera shows a 50mm lens and the 5231 has a 64mm lens. Not certain the usable distance you'll get with the 50mm? Perhaps someone with more knowledge on lenses can help..
Thank you BigRedfish I guess I am not pro at lens what I understand is or my understanding so far is 64mm lens will be better than 50mm to gain more distance if I need to.

I am thinking of picking out parts and just have someone install it Because I cannot seem to find anyone out in my area locally who has much idea about LPR or ALPR or veridical camera system pretty much they all can install but don't have in depth knowledge like you guys have out here. IF someone in SFBAY Area has some contractor that I can use to plan out system please share there contact information I will love to get there input.

Anyhow for now That is why I am trying to ask as many questions I can before I purchase the equipment. So I don't have to go thru return or anything. Plus pretty much contractor is gonna install it and I will have to do everything else from there on terms of configuring or dialing in right setting. I do agree seem like even 64mm lens non ALPR should do the job just fine. I just wonder how the camera will look when cars are parked on the side I guess it will still come in the frame once they past the cars if any parked at the side. will see how it works out.

Definitely once its done I Will post the pictures and results and if I need any help here.

I am really leaning on towards the cheaper one since OPEN LPR is free app seems like so I can still tag vehicles and The price of ALPR is like 3 times more..

So I can technically have two camera and still save money for price of one ALPR.

Now question is Also I don't know if someone had any experience how is the vendor at aliexpress is ? any thing I should watch out for ?

or is this link is okay Another thing on the link under brand it says TEKEMPIRE now I know You said Dahua so are they same camera or is it like knock off version of Dahua

IPC HFW5231E Z12E 2MP Full HD WDR Network IR Starlight Bullet Camera replace the IPC HFW5231E Z12,free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

okay to place my order and do I need to order something else with it ? Like any Power adapter I do have cat6 cable and I guess I will need POE switch ? I am eventually going to tie this switch on same network as my home internet so I can access this camera on any pc on network.

At-least that is my understanding of the IP Cameras so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I suppose it will somewhat depend on how much traffic you're watching. For my little street, over the past 5 years we've had the need for plates for LE a couple of dozen times and each time I was able to provide actionable overview and tag video in a matter of say 10-20 minutes, even from 7-10 days past with just a date and rough time.
You're right, it is definitely a matter of the amount of traffic going by your home. I live on a street that connects two major arteries from the downtown area, so I get about 1000 cars a week driving by. OpenALPR is useful for me. If you live on a side street that only sees a couple of dozen cars a day, then I would agree that OpenALPR may be overkill. But in any case, it is an interesting exercise to learn how to make it all work.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
If you haven't already found this, check out the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes. It's a great reference for for many IP camera questions/situations.
Thank You for the Cliff notes.

I would agree that OpenALPR may be overkill. But in any case, it is an interesting exercise to learn how to make it all work.
Quick question did you make the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E work with open ALPR app to make the camera tag the vehicle ? Because if yes that is what I am planning to do get the non ALPR camera as big red fish said and if needed I will just download OPENALPR to try to make it tag vehicles.

Is it easy to do ?

Reaction score
Thank You for the Cliff notes.

Quick question did you make the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E work with open ALPR app to make the camera tag the vehicle ? Because if yes that is what I am planning to do get the non ALPR camera as big red fish said and if needed I will just download OPENALPR to try to make it tag vehicles.

Is it easy to do ?
Both of my LPR cameras are IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 models (the earlier version of the Z12E). As others have mentioned, you can purchase cameras with the LPR function built in, but it is much more economical to buy standard cameras with good optics and use a PC to process the video using the OpenALPR client.

It is not particularly difficult to set up the OpenALPR client, but it is not trivial either. You have to enable the substream function in the video settings on your cameras, and also correctly configure the client on your PC to receive the video feed from the camera's IP address. There is plenty of documentation online. If you are comfortable using the web configuration built into Dahua cameras, and if you understand the fundamentals of computer networking, you can probably get it set up in a few hours.

One other thing you'll probably want to do is install the Dahua Sunrise / Sunset utility on your PC, and use it to control when the cameras go into daytime / nighttime mode. You can find a link to the utility in this forum, as it was written by one of the users.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Both of my LPR cameras are IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 models (the earlier version of the Z12E). As others have mentioned, you can purchase cameras with the LPR function built in, but it is much more economical to buy standard cameras with good optics and use a PC to process the video using the OpenALPR client.

It is not particularly difficult to set up the OpenALPR client, but it is not trivial either. You have to enable the substream function in the video settings on your cameras, and also correctly configure the client on your PC to receive the video feed from the camera's IP address. There is plenty of documentation online. If you are comfortable using the web configuration built into Dahua cameras, and if you understand the fundamentals of computer networking, you can probably get it set up in a few hours.

One other thing you'll probably want to do is install the Dahua Sunrise / Sunset utility on your PC, and use it to control when the cameras go into daytime / nighttime mode. You can find a link to the utility in this forum, as it was written by one of the users.
Awesome this is really a great help thank you so much for this information. Another Question is I know you said I can use
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E now I understand this right Dahua app will work with this Z12E even though Ali express link that I am using from Andy the vendor say the brand is TEKEMPIRE just want to make sure before I put in the purchase order that are they actually DAHUA camera brand or TekEmpire is a different brand, The reason I wanna make sure is because Want to setup as LPR and just want to make sure I can get it to work with like you said Dahua Sunrise Sunset utility app on pc and stuff. Once Again Thank You So much wtimothyholman for Your help really appreciate it a lot.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy sells the OEM version of the camera. The only difference between that version and the "actually DAHUA camera brand" version is that them OEM version has no Dahua logo on the box, hardware, or firmware. Everything else is the same.

You should have no worries about ordering from Andy or that he markets his stuff under his TEKEMPIRE (or variant) brand! :)

Last edited:

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
The only difference between the "actually DAHUA camera brand" and what Andy sells is that Andy's doesn't have the Dahua logo on the box, hardware, or firmware. Dahua makes both of them the same, they just don't stick their own logo on the OEM version that Andy (and others) resell under their own brands (TekEmpire).
Awesome, Thank you for that I was bit confused there. Great ! I Will go ahead and place my order with Andy since I just spoke to him Thru Aliexpress messages He also said he can send a firmware to make it do NTSC for US instead of PAL. Which he currently has it listed he said it should be just as a firmware update.. To make that switch.

Anyhow thank you everyone. Cannot wait to get a first IP camera setup possibly with LPR

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He also said he can send a firmware to make it do NTSC for US instead of PAL.
One nice thing about IP cameras is that since the video is 100% digital, PAL/NTSC doesn't matter much. I'm in the US and all of my cameras run perfectly on the PAL firmware. It is definitely *not* like the analog video days when you couldn't display PAL content on a NTSC display.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank You BigRedFIsh, Aristobrat, wtimothyholman, And everyone else for helping me pick the Lpr camera out and telling me the great vendor Andy. I last night put in the order with Andy for IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E and the Junction box he recommended PFA121.

So The camera will be here I guess within few weeks or sooner. Now since all of you guys already have such a great and vast experience with LPR Camera. I like to ask you what do you think I should go with Computer as my processor and recorder or Get a NVR ?

I am thinking about 16-20 ip cameras to install in future keep adding on as my budget allow me one by one some of them will be dome, star, PTZ and so on how do you guys think I should go forward with this ? buy a 24 port POE switch or get a NVR ?

Cause soon I will get Z12E in mail and I am just still debating to get a POE switch or Buy a NVR ?

I would also maybe in the future would love a ptz camera which can auto track people coming anywhere near my house driveway or front porch zoom in and auto track till they leave out of the camera view.