I am looking for a camera to watch feral cats in the shelter

petercam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guy's,
I am completely at lost with the amount of various cameras out there and what i would like to have if this is possible, is a wireless camera 1080 is enough for my need and i would like to have night vision since i don't want to bother the cats with light inside their shelter.

My modem is located at 80 feet from the shelter and i have no major obstruction like concrete or trees, there is only 2 drywall's between the shelter and the modem.
Also a camera that will not sound an alarm in the shelter or at least one which i can disable the feature in the software.

With this i need a camera where i can operate from a desktop computer since i don't have a cell phone and never will, i just want to watch the cat in the shelter and have no need for storage and no cloud subscription either, also i am looking for something affordable.
Thank for anyone kind enough to provide advice
Regards Peter

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you absolutely, positively cannot run a CAT-5e cable from your house?
That way you could power the camera and get much better performance than going wireless; besides you'd need to power even the wireless camera somehow unless you have power in the shelter.

petercam

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you absolutely, positively cannot run a CAT-5e cable from your house?
That way you could power the camera and get much better performance than going wireless; besides you'd need to power even the wireless camera somehow unless you have power in the shelter.
Hi Tony and thank for replying, the main reason is that it would be complicated to pass a cable in the backyard since the owner of the house is not going to agree that i pass such a cable. What kind of power do you mean in the shelter since i can get an extension cord there for the heat pad?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tony and thank for replying, the main reason is that it would be complicated to pass a cable in the backyard since the owner of the house is not going to agree that i pass such a cable. What kind of power do you mean in the shelter since i can get an extension cord there for the heat pad?
All cameras require power even "wireless"...with them only the data/video is wireless, it requires a DC power supply, usually a wall wart to plug into an outlet.

POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras receive their power and data over a CAT-5e/6 (Ethernet) cable. The power is supplies by a POE switch, POE injector or POE NVR at your dwelling.

If you want NO wires, the term is "wire free" meaning the camera transmits video over Wi-Fi and is battery-powered with usually solar charging.....they are NOT highly recommended.

If you can lay an extension cord on the ground for a heating pad I don't see why you could not run an Ethernet cable for a POE camera as well.

Last edited:

petercam

n3wb
Reaction score
All cameras require power even "wireless"...with them only the data/video is wireless, it requires a DC power supply, usually a wall wart to plug into an outlet.

POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras receive their power and data over a CAT-5e/6 (Ethernet) cable. The power is supplies by a POE switch, POE injector or POE NVR at your dwelling.

If you want NO wires, the term is "wire free" meaning the camera transmits video over Wi-Fi and is battery-powered with usually solar charging.....they are NOT highly recommended.

If you can lay an extension cord on the ground for a heating pad I don't see why you could not run an Ethernet cable for a POE camera as well.
So in a word i need a electrical outlet near the camera location? Yes i heard about the solar panel and in my place there is not much sun in fall and winter time. I was trying to avoid the cost of the cable since i need 200 feet and it's a 150$.