i-7 6700 16GB of RAM 16 cameras, CPU 100% (unable to get substreams working)

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all, been using BI for awhile, and finally upgraded from mostly 1440p cameras to full 4k cameras. Since I have upgraded, im noticing my CPU will never go down from 99-100%. I have went through the CPU optimizing and still not getting great results.
All of my 4k cameras are configured like this:
View attachment 63926

The last part of the CPU optimization I have not done is the substreams.
For this example I am using an Amcrest IP8M-2597E camera.
Using the settings for Amcrest:
View attachment 63923
Sub Stream is: /cam/realmonitor?channel={CAMNO}&subtype=1&authbasic={AUTH64}
With these configurations, I get no sub stream.

But if i let BI Find/inspect i get:
View attachment 63924
When i add the substream of: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif and save that. I get substream data flowing in, but then BI will start to crash over and over, with the only error logged being "Restarted after unexpected shutdown (1500/240)

It will not stop crashing until i remove that sub stream. Any thoughts?
(updated with corrected screenshots)
I am running several systems with various Amcrest cameras. These camera settings are working on all of them for me:

Select the "ProHD" Amcrest profile (none of the others worked for me). Copy/paste "Main stream" into "Sub stream", add a question mark, copy "Params" and append to "Sub stream", changing "subtype=0" to "subtype=1". 10 MB buffer, no media profile, no RTSP back-channel. On the Video page, try defaulting hardware acceleration. And NEVER use Limit decoding unless required unless you want to severely cripple your motion detector by limiting it to keyframes only. If it starts working, you'll see numbers populate under "Sub bitrate" and "Sub FPS" in your Blue Iris Status, and numbers for the substream under each camera's General tab.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
reduce the size of the new folder (E:) by 50 GB.
Set the Iframe value to the same as the frame rate on all cameras.
reduce the frame rate on 1/2 the cameras to 10.

I have all my inside cameras set to 8 fps/ 8 iframe .

Your problem is the configuration of UI3 and the processing of your cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Shaun Barrow

I've just read through this thread, and I believe I have the answers you are looking for. There are two problems here. I'm sorry to all the other guys who are trying to help, but your good advice is wasted as long as the core problems aren't fixed :)

First of all (and this only became evident late in the thread), your performance problem comes from having enabled limit decoding on your cameras but you have not configured your camera groups to not require all frames when streaming. This was warned about in Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

The other problem is that your BI version is too old for good sub stream support. This was evident since the very first post, but nobody caught it apparently. The first 1 or 2 versions had that single-line sub stream path input and did not support {CAMNO} in the path. To fix this, you should renew your BI support plan so you can update to the latest version, 5.2.9.17 at the time of this writing. Sub stream support isn't 100% stable yet -- really it isn't even close, but it is a lot better in the latest version than in the version you are on. Anyway if you update then you can configure your sub streams and disable limit decoding on all your cameras. I would not run both sub streams and limit decoding on the same cameras at the same time. Not only is there little reason to do so, but you would be increasing your chance of running into bugs.

If you don't want to renew the support plan right now then I recommend downgrading Blue Iris back to 5.2.6.5 through the "Check for update" button in Blue Iris Settings for the sake of stability.

Reaction score
@Shaun Barrow

I've just read through this thread, and I believe I have the answers you are looking for. There are two problems here. I'm sorry to all the other guys who are trying to help, but your good advice is wasted as long as the core problems aren't fixed :)

First of all (and this only became evident late in the thread), your performance problem comes from having enabled limit decoding on your cameras but you have not configured your camera groups to not require all frames when streaming. This was warned about in Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

The other problem is that your BI version is too old for good sub stream support. This was evident since the very first post, but nobody caught it apparently. The first 1 or 2 versions had that single-line sub stream path input and did not support {CAMNO} in the path. To fix this, you should renew your BI support plan so you can update to the latest version, 5.2.9.17 at the time of this writing. Sub stream support isn't 100% stable yet -- really it isn't even close, but it is a lot better in the latest version than in the version you are on. Anyway if you update then you can configure your sub streams and disable limit decoding on all your cameras. I would not run both sub streams and limit decoding on the same cameras at the same time. Not only is there little reason to do so, but you would be increasing your chance of running into bugs.

If you don't want to renew the support plan right now then I recommend downgrading Blue Iris back to 5.2.6.5 through the "Check for update" button in Blue Iris Settings for the sake of stability.
I am not going to lie, i was wondering why i havent got updates in awhile... i SWORE you got updates even out of support. Updating now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You were getting updates LOL...

Updates used to be able to occur after the one year, but the manual states it is only good for a year and the developer recently started enforcing it.

Reaction score
You were getting updates LOL...

Updates used to be able to occur after the one year, but the manual states it is only good for a year and the developer recently started enforcing it.
Hah! you stated about the "configured your camera groups to not require all frames when streaming" I am looking on the guide and cant seem to find what you are pointing to, could you assist?