Hyperthreading

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bought a used ebay machine to run BI and the cams and then ran a nice piece of software called "Belarc Advisor" (free for home use) to confirm the inner workings and I noticed that it said "Not Hyper-Threaded"
Mine is an i7-4790 with 4 cores and to change hyperthreading you need to go into the BIOS and turn it on. No worries there.
I used the search on this site for "hyperthread" and found nothing, it is not in the "cliff notes" either and only saw in the "selecting Hardware for BI" area where it seemed to suggest Hyperthreading is good.
Found some other articles explaining why it was good for 2 core machines and might not be useful for 4 core machines unless you are gaming, blah blah blah.
I would love to hear a few thoughts on this to see if it is a great advantage for surveillance PC's.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Done
Strange that this isn't mentioned anywhere else on this site - maybe it normally comes ON and mine was just weird since it is a used ebay machine.

Hmm, this is odd - per online instructions to see cores, processors I went to CMD prompt typed entered wmic then entered CPU Get NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessors /Format:List
before I changed it - this said I had 4 cores and 4 logical processors - after changing the BIOS to use hyperthreading it now says I have 2 cores and 4 logical processors.
the Belarc Advisor says the same thing. That just doesn't seem right.
Did I just turn my 4 core machine into a 2 core machine ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, normally it is enabled by default. There are only a few odd cases where turning it off does anything beneficial.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd look in Task Manager, Performance Tab, CPU.
At the top it should say what CPU you have. Make sure it is what the seller said it was. I had a used PC seller send an i3 and call it an i5 before.
At the bottom it should have a readout of Sockets: 1, Cores: 4, Logical processors: 8.
You can also right click the CPU graph and choose Change graph to > Logical processors and it should should 8 graphs.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd look in Task Manager, Performance Tab, CPU.
At the top it should say what CPU you have. Make sure it is what the seller said it was. I had a used PC seller send an i3 and call it an i5 before.
At the bottom it should have a readout of Sockets: 1, Cores: 4, Logical processors: 8.
You can also right click the CPU graph and choose Change graph to > Logical processors and it should should 8 graphs.
well, that shows 1 socket, 2 cores and 4 processors now with 4 graphs and running nothing but BI-4 and the CPU usage it is between 21- 27%
changing it back and will re-run these.
Now I get 1, 4 and 4 again with the same 4 graphs and identical processor usage. Well, no wonder this isn't talked about much - LOL