Huisun PTZ motion detector not working at night

rihallix

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm noticing that my Huisun PTZ motion detector happily triggers during the day time but at night it doesn't get triggered - and I know there are cars driving through it's field of view.

I think I have it zoomed in about 5x (half way) of the full 10x capability on a street where cars drive past perhaps once an hour.

Are there any settings that might help? (so that the motion detection triggers at night)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
have you checked your storage / 'record schedule' and event/ motion detection / arming schedule?
if that all looks kosher, perhaps fiddle with the motion detection sensitivity?
be sure to use IE browser for less frustrating experience...

rihallix

n3wb
Reaction score
I am really about to abandon this camera as I cannot find settings that make a simple matter of night time motion detection work. I've fiddled with the motion detection sensitivity.

Really need a camera that meets these criteria:

- high enough def to read plates that are 50-100 feet away (Huisun works here)

- reliable night time motion detection (Huisun fails here)

Advice appreciated.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Do you have v1 or v2? V1 had problematic motion sensitivity but v2 worked fine

rihallix

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a v1, but without working night time motion detection it's proving worthless and has missed multiple crimes occurring.

Is there a firmware upgrade that makes the v1 deliver what was promised in this area?

What random claimed functionality from the v2 doesn't work? (or is this like a lottery - spend $170 for a PTZ and find out later which random feature didn't work, rinse, repeat...).

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I have a v1, but without working night time motion detection it's proving worthless and has missed multiple crimes occurring.

Is there a firmware upgrade that makes the v1 deliver what was promised in this area?

What random claimed functionality from the v2 doesn't work? (or is this like a lottery - spend $170 for a PTZ and find out later which random feature didn't work, rinse, repeat...).
The motion detection issue in v1 has been discussed numerous times, one of the reasons I upgraded to v2 is to have better motion detection.

Couple threads:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/8733-PTZ-v1-motion-detection-seems-overly-sensitive-or-blind-with-not-much-in-between?highlight=motion+detection

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7028-Mini-PTZ-Motion-detection-too-sensitive?highlight=motion+detection

V2 has been discussed to death as well, if you don't want to bother reading about what others already said well then sounds like it's best for you to spend $500+ and get a Dahua or Hikvision PTZ.

rihallix

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks - I had searched but I had specifically been looking for "motion detection" and "night" which didn't turn up these threads.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Bottom line there are no settings that would make it better in v1, either they didn't want to fix it or the couldn't. I've gave up on V1s alomost a year ago.

rihallix

n3wb
Reaction score
@klasipca
Thanks for the guidance. At this point it sounds like even the v2 Huisun PTZ may not have reliable night time motion detection. You say "spend $500+ and get a Dahua or Hikvision PTZ". I see a bunch of Hikvision PTZ bullets starting around $120 and up. Again it's feeling like a lottery when I want certainty that the product will work, and I lost the lottery with the Huisun PTZ v1.

I'm realizing my requirements, based on making license plates legible in captured photos are:
- able to be zoomed in up to 10x
- reliable motion detection that works day or night
- connects via Ethernet (WiFi is never reliable)
- HD (1080+)

Would appreciate guidance or recommendations - can't afford to be buying another dud.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Where do you see "bunch of Hikvision PTZ bullets starting around $120 and up"? I would have never bought or recommended Huisun if I could get same functionality with Hikvision in the same price range.

rihallix

n3wb
Reaction score
There are a bunch of Hikvision PTZs on Amazon,

PTZ but not a bullet, $149:
https://amzn.com/B01HXJSV9C

Bullet but not PTZ, $155
https://amzn.com/B01GZIZHVW

I don't need PTZ, it doesn't need to be a bullet. I just want 5x zoom (I can fix and lock this in, don't need to change it remotely), 1080 HD, and reliable day and night time motion detection.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well if you see bunch of Hikvision PTZs with the functionality that you need then go with it. Personally I have not found such thing in sub $150

CodeGreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hikvision PTZ do NOT have IR
You can get a bullet like 2cd2232 and swap out the lens to 25mm or higher depending on the distance(multiply the base lens on your huisun by your 5x and get something close)

what you can also do with huisun is not use motion detection and do a continous recording, and add the line cross events. Spending any amount of money could buy you a bigger survellence hdd and maybe get a NVR if you want