Huisun DM-SCB405IP-V10-E having problems with using PTZ/presets only at night

dalepa

Reaction score
I had the same power problem on my Huisun's. This TrendNet POE+ switch solved it.

This single POE plug also solved the power problem

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I feel certain I have figured out the issue with the camera after testing for 4 hours tonight.I plugged the camera into another POE switch, by itself and the problem reboots occurred after about 45 seconds of using the PTZ or presets.
I then plugged the camera back into my original POE+ switch by itself and again, after 45 seconds or so of using the PTZ or presets it reboots.
I then plugged the camera into a non POE port and hooked up a 12v, 1.5a external power supply and it worked flawlessly for 30 minutes of using patrol, manual PTZ and presets.
Just to be sure, I repeated the entire three things above and the results are the same.
There must be something wrong with the POE power supply inside the camera. I wouldn't have guessed this on a brand new camera.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I feel certain I have figured out the issue with the camera after testing for 4 hours tonight.I plugged the camera into another POE switch, by itself and the problem reboots occurred after about 45 seconds of using the PTZ or presets.
I then plugged the camera back into my original POE+ switch by itself and again, after 45 seconds or so of using the PTZ or presets it reboots.
I then plugged the camera into a non POE port and hooked up a 12v, 1.5a external power supply and it worked flawlessly for 30 minutes of using patrol, manual PTZ and presets.
Just to be sure, I repeated the entire three things above and the results are the same.
There must be something wrong with the POE power supply inside the camera. I wouldn't have guessed this on a brand new camera.
Just to be clear, did you re-use the same ethernet cable when using the non-POE port and separate 12V 1.5A supply? If so, this would ensure it's the POE board, and not the cable itself.

edit: actually, maybe not. CCA cable may indeed be 'good enough' for the data only portion, but insufficient to do both POE and data...

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I used the same 25' cat 6 cable for all of the testing.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yeah, it could still be the cable that is not up-to-snuff for carrying PoE+ power, as the external 12v power supply bypasses that.

the real test would be a PoE splitter at the cam. If that works, it's the PoE board in the cam. If it doesn't, it's the cable.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
edit: actually, maybe not. CCA cable may indeed be 'good enough' for the data only portion, but insufficient to do both POE and data...
I don't have any issues with Cat6 CCA in 100 feet runs.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is why all my Huisun V1 PTZs are powered from 12V wall adapters.

Well, I got a replacement camera today and got it all set up but the exact same issues occurred that I describe in my initial post.
At night time when I use the PTZ/presets the camera always reboots. If I turn the from auto to off I can use PTZ/presets all night long and there is no reboots.
This time I have the camera on a totally different cable run, still cat 6, 50' cable.
I tried my TP-Link POE+ switch (port 1) and I tried a netgear POE switch I had laying around, same results.
I asked before but didn't get an answer... my TP-Link (TL-SG1008PE) is rated for 124 watts total, yet I'm only using about 50 total with 4 cams connected.
Could this camera be using a lot more somehow?
Tomorrow night, when I connect the external power supply, I suspect it will do like the first camera I had and work flawlessly with an AC adapter.
It doesn't seem likely that a second camera would have a bad POE...
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. Need pure copper cat5 wire (no copper clad wire crap)
2. 99% of bad cameras are from operator deficiency (red tagged from operator deficiency is bad) READ, READ, READ
3. Find a hikvision camera and get it running... plenty of help in the forums to set up and run. Bleed that knowledge into Huisun cameras.
4. READ, READ, READ some more.

I promise after you get the 1st hik camera set-up... every other camera will seem very easy to set up... starting with any ptz is very difficult for most. Pick a hik 2032 to start.. very easy and get the hang of port-forwarding too. (buy from a local shop to give you help 1st.... then maybe you can buy from China later.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I asked before but didn't get an answer... my TP-Link (TL-SG1008PE) is rated for 124 watts total, yet I'm only using about 50 total with 4 cams connected.
Could this camera be using a lot more somehow?
Nope. Just a flaky POE board. My guess is there was a run of these under spec'd or just crappy. My V1 of this cam doesn't do it.

Although supposedly the newer V1s have the same flaky board.

Beating a dead horse at this point. It's a great camera especially for the price. The work arounds have been stated ad nauseam.
We live with it and we are happy since we paid so little for such performance.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. Need pure copper cat5 wire (no copper clad wire crap)
2. 99% of bad cameras are from operator deficiency (red tagged from operator deficiency is bad) READ, READ, READ
3. Find a hikvision camera and get it running... plenty of help in the forums to set up and run. Bleed that knowledge into Huisun cameras.
4. READ, READ, READ some more.

I promise after you get the 1st hik camera set-up... every other camera will seem very easy to set up... starting with any ptz is very difficult for most. Pick a hik 2032 to start.. very easy and get the hang of port-forwarding too. (buy from a local shop to give you help 1st.... then maybe you can buy from China later.
I've got 3 Hikvision cameras already set up, port forwarded, no problems. I've been doing this and READING, READING and READING for 10 years now with anything from Trendnet, FOSCAM, Hikvision, Airlink, etc. cameras. This is the first camera I've had this type of issue with. I really don't this this is "operator deficiency" and if you can't get a camera operating as expected on cat 6 cable with conventional POE+ equipment, my suspicion is in the camera hardware. Just my opinion.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NoloC, is the conventional wisdom on the workarounds that you should use an external power supply? I though I saw that as a theme in most of my background research on this issue.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I've got 3 Hikvision cameras already set up, port forwarded, no problems. I've been doing this and READING, READING and READING for 10 years now with anything from Trendnet, FOSCAM, Hikvision, Airlink, etc. cameras. This is the first camera I've had this type of issue with. I really don't this this is "operator deficiency" and if you can't get a camera operating as expected on cat 6 cable with conventional POE+ equipment, my suspicion is in the camera hardware. Just my opinion.
Did you try with another cable and POE switch or you are still using it with the same one? These cams are power hungry and poe has been a sore subject. As I mentioned I had rebooting issue as well with NVR + Cat5e CCA cable, while Longse cam happily works on the same cable connected to NVR.

My Huisuns work happily with this one even with cat5e cca cable:

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-8-Port-Gigabit-GREENnet-TPE-TG44g/dp/B008VK2XXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462021902&sr=8-1&keywords=trendnet+poe+plus

Last edited by a moderator:

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
klasipca, I looked at your other posts and saw your issues and yes, as I mentioned, this is a NEW cat 6 run and I also tried 3 other POE switches, including my POE+ switch mentioned earlier. I suspect the power hungry statement is the basis for my issue, although I don't understand how 1 cam can still not operate on POE properly with a POE+ allowance of 124 w. Each port on this particular switch can handle up to 30w and I've never heard of a cam using higher, even with heating, PTZ, etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
klasipca, I looked at your other posts and saw your issues and yes, as I mentioned, this is a NEW cat 6 run and I also tried 3 other POE switches, including my POE+ switch mentioned earlier. I suspect the power hungry statement is the basis for my issue, although I don't understand how 1 cam can still not operate on POE properly with a POE+ allowance of 124 w. Each port on this particular switch can handle up to 30w and I've never heard of a cam using higher, even with heating, PTZ, etc.
What kind of cable are you using exact brand and specs? how are you terminating the ends? is it a straight run or are you using some sort of coupler or jack with patch cable?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
UTP, 550 mhz, cat 6, bought at Fry's, not the cheapest not the most expensive choice... it is a straight 50' run, no couplers, straight from the POE+ to the cam. Both cables I've used are same specs, one is 25' one is 50'.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
NoloC, is the conventional wisdom on the workarounds that you should use an external power supply?
I would say yes. The 12vdc in seems fine. You can either use a supply like you have been testing with or this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01AVYIMF4/ref=nosim/ipctk-20

I thought it was a cable issue so I changed out to a 15 foot run of UBNT toughcable (24awg copper). Still same behavior rebooting at night.

Putting the little POE to 12vdc converter on same cable, and all is fine.

Agree it is not an operator problem.

Good luck.