HTTP 500 Errors and Snapshots

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to post here in case anybody else runs into the same issue I had. I have Amcrest cameras that I've flashed with the Dahua firmware. I then have the cameras email a notification to my linux box upon movement, which kicks off a notification script to a home theater box I have that runs Kodi. Then Kodi pops up with a snapshot image of the camera. You need to configure Kodi with where to download the JPG image, which I'm using the snapshot.cgi file on the cameras.

The problem I ran into is that sometimes it would work occasionally, but more times than not, I would get HTTP 500 errors. If I rebooted the camera, it seems like it would work once or twice, then I would get the HTTP 500 errors again. Well, after playing around with the settings for a few days, I think I finally figured out that it had to do with the snapshot quality that I configured. When I set the camera up, I thought hey, disk space is cheap, so I'll set it to 6 (best) quality. Well, when I tweaked this down to a '4', it seems like my HTTP 500 errors disappeared and things are working great.

So if you're trying to grab snapshots from the camera and are getting HTTP 500 errors, try setting your camera's snapshot quality to '4'.