HP EliteDesk good to run BI?

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Pretty straight forward question i guess? Im looking at a the following for about $200
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF i7-4770 3.40GHz 16GB RAM 1TB HDD Windows 10 Pro

I'll be running 8 cameras but ill plan for 12.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you follow EVERY optimization in this wiki, you will see great results. Don't skip any that you think are not important.

Many come here saying they have done every optimization and once they start posting screenshots, we see they are not utilizing substreams...and that is a HUGE saver of CPU.

A member here was running 50 cameras with an i7 4790 and was at 100% CPU and was looking for recommendations for a new machine. After strong persuasion by many of us, he reluctantly agreed to do every optimization and is now at 30% CPU. Direct-to-disc and substreams are a must....

I think the I7-4770 will run 12 cameras fine following the optimization.

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you follow EVERY optimization in this wiki, you will see great results. Don't skip any that you think are not important.

Many come here saying they have done every optimization and once they start posting screenshots, we see they are not utilizing substreams...and that is a HUGE saver of CPU.

A member here was running 50 cameras with an i7 4790 and was at 100% CPU and was looking for recommendations for a new machine. After strong persuasion by many of us, he reluctantly agreed to do every optimization and is now at 30% CPU. Direct-to-disc and substreams are a must....

I think the I7-4770 will run 12 cameras fine following the optimization.

If its a matter of spending a little more to get a much better option I'm for it. I would rather overbuild than under build and have to change later. Should i look at an i9 or a newer gen? the 6th gen i7 seems to run almost the same but about $100 bucks more

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is totally up to you. If your budget allows a newer gen, I would say go for it, but many here get by just fine with an older generation. 50 cameras on a 4th gen is alot LOL.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will need to add an good quality SSD for the C drive 120 or 250 GB will do. You will need to add a 4TB WD purpled drive, or other surveillance rated drive. Please make sure that the SFF case will support the Disk drive and SSD.

Note I run one process level up for this processor I7-4790 and support 17 cameras 650 MP/Sec at about 20% CPU.

Last edited:

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will need to add an goof quality SSD for the C drive 120 or 250 GB will do. You will need to add a 4TB WD purpled drive, or other surveillance rated drive. Please make sure that the SFF case will support the Disk drive and SSD.

Note I run one process level up for this processor I7-4790 and support 17 cameras 650 MP/Sec at about 20% CPU.
why a HDD and an SSD?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
here is a base machine. you'd need to bring it up to Specs for BI. get a surveillance hard drive, and for the C:\ drive get an SSD, its the biggest performance bang for the buck on a PC.
the 8 thread thru-put coupled with the higher bandwidth of DDR-4 vs. DDR3 of the 4770 is a game changer. This is just an example of a PC on Ebay....I see it has no Memory installed ............:idk: keep looking.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it's The Micro form factor you are referring to. It is a slower processor, due to thermal concerns. usually designated by a T ending in the part number of the Processor.
the SFF can run a normal processor, the heat sink isnt enough for the K Processors which draw high watts, and create more heat.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I swapped a an i3 chip for an i7 chip in an Optiplex 7010, and had thermal issues. I found a taller( more mass) Dell Optiplex heat sink from a Full Tower Dell Precision/Optiplex that was running an i7 processor. dropped the base temp and the peak temp about 6-8C over all.