How would you handle "out of town" Police communication?

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know several here have home security cameras specifically because they RV and are away from home for long periods of time. That is my case as well. I am thinking that the time to figure out exactly what to do is not when something happens. I am not in a City. I called my county Sherriff's office and they said to use the non-emergency line to the Sheriff's office. It is always open and handled by the same group that does the emergency calls. You would call and the assigned officer would call you back.

When I asked about how to do email communication or how they wanted video clips or links sent, they said that was officer dependent and I would have to negotiate that with the officer at the time.

Do you think they would want the actual clip or a link to that clip hosted? Would you run into email attachment size limitations? I see some of you use YouTube for hosting, are police OK with the prior public release of evidence like that? Does giving a YouTube video an obscure/nonsense name help hide it or are videos also recommended to others by visual content?

Would be using SmartPSS on a remote laptop that would use my home router to L2TP VPN into the NVR and DVR. So far the only format I seem to be able to export is MP4, which is fine I suppose.

Thanks for any ideas,
fred

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Upload to Youtube, mark it private, share the link with the police, then only those with the link can view it.
Practice doing so before there is an actual need for it, so you can work out any kinks a head of time.
This is a great Idea. If the video is more than 20MB you'll have a problem with email and going the YT route it will be high quality video.

fred583

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks very much! I have never uploaded to YT and didn't know they had a private option. I suppose that is also how I would post clips here.