How we eliminated all false Motion detections in Blue Iris

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We have cheap USB microphones, basically all we did was tape the microphones to the driveway alerts.. when someone passes the Driveway motion sensor the driveway motion sensor base system beeps cassing BI to record the trigger and send us the alert to the phones.
Simple easy and done!

( The system does not trigger on motion it triggers on sound ) we Have completely disabled motion detection in blue iris but we do record continuously.

We currently have 3 driveway alert systems and 3 usb microphones that trigger Perfectly without any false alarms. working solid for just over 3 months.

Just so you know , usb microphones Create different audio channels for each individual microphone automatically.. so the limitation is only based on how many USB ports you have available.

For those who are frustrated with false alarms here's your chance to do it easily and without spending much money.

If you have an idea that's been working Successfully for you Please feel free To share your way of Eliminating false triggers..

Enjoy, and we wish Everyone a happy and safe New Year's!

Last edited:

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is some pictures of what we have going on..20191229_135558.jpg20191229_134838.jpg20191229_134811.jpg

We just wanted to point out, that the microphones will pickup sound from just about anything that's going on in the same room the microphones are in and send an alert.
So basically you will need to find a way to Isolate the sounds for each individual microphone, Depending on how much Room noise you make, or have.
We are actually thinking on making nice sound proofing boxes for each microphone setup.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is not a solution it will cause you to miss recordings When the motion occurs outside Of your driveway alert. Unless you are recording continuously. What you can do is disable alerts unless they come from Your sensor But keep the trigger.

This whole solution is needlessly complex you can use any type of sensors to trigger blue Iris By way of the sealevel device or Z wave

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We record continuously, and don't miss any alert.
If you don't mind going into detail why you say I can use any Motion sensor how would I use what I have and make it work without using microphones?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We record continuously, and don't miss any alert.
If you don't mind going into detail why you say I can use any Motion sensor how would I use what I have and make it work without using microphones?
Search this forum and the bi help file for sealevel.
Also any Zwave sensor can trigger a hub to send an http command to trigger bi

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Search this forum and the bi help file for sealevel.
Also any Zwave sensor can trigger a hub to send an http command to trigger bi
After some careful long research on both sealevel and zwave we have come to the conclusion that we have built a much more reliable alert system on so many levels that we will be keeping this the way they are, because everything has been rock solid for just over 3 months without one single issue.. we care about alerts so much that it needs to be reliable and Extremely instant, and that's what we have achieved.. thank you for sharing your methods as it may interest other users.
And a usb microphone and a few settings in blue iris is not complex.

Test this out for yourself: just take a microphone plug it in to your computer and set Audio as the alert.. make a beep sound or whatever into the microphone and watch how fast the alert is.

It may not be a solution for everyone but it is a solution for us, and it works exceptionally well for our needs.

Have a great night!

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After some careful long research on both sealevel and zwave we have come to the conclusion that we have built a much more reliable alert system on so many levels that we will be keeping this the way they are, because everything has been rock solid for just over 3 months without one single issue.. we care about alerts so much that it needs to be reliable and Extremely instant, and that's what we have achieved.. thank you for sharing your methods as it may interest other users.
And a usb microphone and a few settings in blue iris is not complex.

Test this out for yourself: just take a microphone plug it in to your computer and set Audio as the alert.. make a beep sound or whatever into the microphone and watch how fast the alert is.

It may not be a solution for everyone but it is a solution for us, and it works exceptionally well for our needs.

Have a great night!
Your solution is a lot less reliable and way less accurate than the others proposed. It’s silly and backwards and prone to false by ambient noise. The other solutions allow for Pir motion sensors as well. I understand that it’s difficult to admit that you came up with a convoluted solution when there were much more elegant solutions available. You did no research.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Everybody's entitled to their own opinions.
Thanks for giving yours.

I can understand your point of view though, if your microphones are in a room that's quite noisy then of course your microphones will trigger false alerts.
We do not have this problem because the noise in the camera room is zero with the doors closed and the only noise in that room is the computer running.

Like I said before, and I'll say it again... This solution is not for everybody but it is for us because it works for us.

If it helps someone out then fine, if not then yes there are other options like you clearly pointed out.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Everybody's entitled to their own opinions.
Thanks for giving yours.

I can understand your point of view though, if your microphones are in a room that's quite noisy then of course your microphones will trigger false alerts.
We do not have this problem because the noise in the camera room is zero with the doors closed and the only noise in that room is the computer running.

Like I said before, and I'll say it again... This solution is not for everybody but it is for us because it works for us.

If it helps someone out then fine, if not then yes there are other options like you clearly pointed out.
The "solution" is backwards and silly. It requires a "quiet room" and limits to only alerting on a driveway alarm. Someone was onto your lawn or walks right over the driveway alarm and you are not alerted.