How to upgrade firmware

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have one Hikvision camera from a few years back (DS-2CD2142FWD-IS) that i want to bring its firmware more up to date, now that i am implementing Blue Iris as an NVR. I found the latest HIkvision provided firmware on their site and downloaded and expanded the zip file on my laptop, but when i go to "maintenance" via the web interface, the "browse" feature does not seem to work (or do anything), so i can not locate the file to update is. Also, I also tried "update" under the system settings tab (with a proper gateway address), but got the same lack of response.

What is the secret here? The user manual seemed to be of no immediate help. Do I need to move the file to a special folder or set up some sort of tftp server, or something else, or is it broken. The camera is otherwise working fine.
1640624745285.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just to "get it current" and for kicks, you are probably wasting your time.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. In most instances, updates are strictly security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind,
  • The Dahua 49225 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind,
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • Countless other instances where the camera simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1640625275701.png

Kyle24la

n3wb
Reaction score
To get that Browse button to work, run Internet Explorer as admin or you can use the Batch Config Tool Software as well.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i Gave elevated permissions a try on IE 11 (emulator in Chrome), but no luck. I guess i will just leave it alone for now, as it is working. It is my oldest camera, so likely the first one to be replaced, if i feel the need.

Kyle24la

n3wb
Reaction score
i Gave elevated permissions a try on IE 11 (emulator in Chrome), but no luck. I guess i will just leave it alone for now, as it is working. It is my oldest camera, so likely the first one to be replaced, if i feel the need.
If web browser isnt working for you, you can go thru the batch config tool -> Batch Configuration

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You really need to be asking yourself why are you updating? If it is just to "get it current" and for kicks, you are probably wasting your time.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. In most instances, updates are strictly security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind,
  • The Dahua 49225 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind,
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • Countless other instances where the camera simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

View attachment 113596
Some may upgrade for security reasons, alot of firmware pushes are just that. Most of them wont state that are security updates, only those that are mandatory when somebody publicy state a security risk like RCE by TheWatchfull_IP in June.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The data sheet says that it has dual streams, but i see only one available at a time in the GUI. Perhaps the firmware would fix that, now that i want the sub stream for BI bit rate /CPU % reduction. I might need to try the batch tool. The link above @Kyle24la did not seem to work, but i found the tool under the below link. i will likely give that a try later.

Tools